41.Bad News

When I wake up I'm laying on the bed in the RV.
"Daryl?" I groan out
"Hey Mason! I'm glad you're alright," Dale exclaims cheerfully.
"Where's Daryl?"
"Don't worry he's out looking for Sophia."
"What happened...? why am I here?"
"I think you just had a little heat exhausted, but we gave ya lots of water, so you'll be okay now."
"How long have they been gone?"
"A few hours... maybe three?"
      I go to get up, but am quickly stopped by Dale.
"Woah there little lady. You are on strict bed rest."
"But I want to find my dog."
"He's with Daryl and the others."
"Okay, then I want to go look in the cars."
"You're staying in bed the rest of the day. Heat exhaustion is definitely not something to mess with."
"Is there any food?"
"Yeah, Lori found some granola bars yesterday, and I think some fruit snacks..."
"Never mind. I'm not very hungry any more."
"What do you mean? You just said that you were..."
"Well it must be that heat thing makin' me talk crazy again."
"Well, are ya thirsty?"
"No, just tired."
"Alright, I'm gonna go check on T-Dog he got a nasty cut yesterday, I'm worried about him," He admits.
     As soon as he leaves the RV I sigh in relief. I'm really am hungry, it's just that if I was out there with Sophia, like I should be, I reckon I would be even more hungry. It's just not fair... i've made a pact with myself. I ain't gonna eat till Sophia is found, and has had her fill of the food. If Daryl asks me I'll come up with something, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Well, I can already tell this is gonna be one heck of a boring day.

     Well here I am still in bed. They've been gone for forever! I hope their alright, what if they ran into another herd? Or got lost... no Daryl knows where he's going.
"How is she?" That's Daryl! I'll just listen to see what's going on, he probably won't tell me.
"Well how'd it go?"
"We didn't find her, I ain't done looking though."
"Where's Lori, Carl, Rick, and Shane?"
"Let's go this way... I think we have a little spy." Snap! They walk away, and I can't hear anything anymore. This is great... not.
"Hey Masie," Daryl says coming into the RV.
"Hi," I don't say anything else, I just start fidgeting with the bracelet Sophia gave me.
"We didn't find her, I'm sorry."
"How couldn't you have found her? I saw her I told you, but you ignored me!"
"Masie..."
"No! Why did she run?! I was right there! Why couldn't she have stayed?! I told her to, I tried..." he cuts me off,
"Masie you had heat exhaustion. You saw a mirage, that's what Dale said." He says trying to calm me down.
"I wasn't talkin' about that!" I yell getting closer and closer to breaking down.
"What?" I just shake my head and look down afraid to talk, I might cry.
"Nothing, I'm sorry. I'm still tired from everything," I lie.
"I'm not buying the 'I'm alright bit'." He mimics,
"But I'll let you get some sleep."
"Alright."
He walks out of the RV. I must say it is reassuring to know I'm not losing my mind. I wonder why Carl hasn't come in. Maybe he's mad at me for losing Sophia. I hope she's alright. There's no way Daryl's gonna let me go help look for her. After the heat thing and all.
Daryl storms back into the RV.
"It's a wonder these people have made it this long." I hear him mumble.
"What's the matter?"
"It's T-dog, he must've cut his hand on a rusty edge or something stupid looks like he may need a doctor."
"Please not another one." Daryl snorts,
"What you didn't like the fireworks?" I flinch and he must notice because he gives me a funny look.
"What?"
"Nothin'," I lie.
"Come on Masie none of that, what's the matter with you?"
"We lost a lot. What if we could've stayed there? There was good food, air conditioning, hot water. What if..."
"Don't waste your time with the what if's. It don't do any good. It happened time to move on. No more of that, ya hear?"
"Yes."
"What's gonna happen to T-dog?"
"Masie, I want you to listen. We don't know anything for sure."
"What do you mean?"
"Listen we had to split up. Carl, Rick, and Shane kept looking. The rest of us came back."
"What does this have to do with T?"
"I'm getting to it, calm down."
"Sorry, I'm listening." He sighs and continues,
"A little ways into the trip we heard..."
      the door swings open, and Glenn comes in.
"It's T-dog, his fever is really bad." Daryl looks at me,
"Stay, I'll be right back."
      I look out the window, as Daryl grabs something out of Merle's bike, and hand it to Dale. I hear them say something about getting ready to leave. LEAVE? We can't leave, Sophia's still out there!
     I jump up, and open the door about ready to try to change their decision, but almost run right into Daryl.
"What are you doing? I told ya to stay put," He says sternly.
"We can't just leave...Not without Sophia."
"What are you talking about Masie?" I ignore his question, and start to talk faster. I'm getting out of breath, so it's hard.
"What if she comes back, how would she feel if no one was here? if we leave her behind, It wouldn't be any better than when we left merle behind. It would be worse she's a little girl, he was a grown man. Please Daryl, please!"
"Mason, Calm down! I'm not leaving anybody behind ya hear? Some of us are staying some of us are going."
"Going where?" He sighs,
"A place... a farm up the highway a little ways."
"Are there people there?"
He nods his head.
"I don't know how to put this, so I'm just gonna say it... today we were coming back, and a girl on a horse road up. She told us her name was Maggie Greene, and where she lived. She told Lori to come with her, and so that's where we're goin'."
I look at him in disbelief,
"Wait a second... A random person on a horse rides up. Lori git's on the Horse, and leaves with her. And now we're going to the same farm?"
"Yup," He states simply.
" I have a question... Why the heck did you let Lori get on the horse with her?! What if it's bad people?"
"She called her by name. Told her she needed to come it was urgent."
"Why? What could she have said to make Lori go with her?"
"Masie, I don't know the whole story, just one part of it. Now I don't want you to go jumping to any collusions..."
"What is it Daryl?" I'm getting kinda worried.
"Carl's been shot."

I HIT 40K THIS WEEK! Thanks y'all!🤗🤗🤗