15. Early to Bed? Yeah Right,

Shane came over to the Dixon camp where I was sitting petting my dog who had his head in my lap.

"Well Mason say your goodnights." I glared at him.

"But it's only eight o'clock." He gave me a look and put his hands on his hips.

"I seem to remember telling ya early that you are gonna be going to bed early for a few nights, so I think it's in your best interest to obey. Or would ya rather me carry you to bed?"

I glare at him and get up slowly trying to irritate him.

"I ain't gonna go to sleep till I'm good and ready. And you can't make me." I say with attitude as he raises his eyebrows at me.

"Well I guess that parts up to you, but you'll be awful bored lying their with nothing to do." He acts like he has a great point.

"I think I'll manage, after all it's more comfortable than a tree."

He automatically frowns remembering how I outsmarted him a few hours ago, and Merle gives a snort.

"Let's go, and if I catch you out of that tent tonight, I'm gonna..." I cut him off abruptly,

"you'll do what?"

"I'll give you what you've needed since I first found you."

"Ya mean since ya kidnaped me?"

I sass, as he sighs, and gives one stern word.

"move."

He points to the tent, and I stomp away. Past the other people in the group, and the RV. Apollo follows happily behind me, after all I haven't seen him all day.

Shane comes in and tries to pull a whole I'm doing this cause I care about you parent lecture to which I ignore by picking underneath my nails. He grabs my hands and puts them at my sides, and I look straight up at the ceiling of the tent.

"Mason, I mean it I see ya out of this tent tonight I'm not gonna go easy on ya cause of what ya been through. Understand?" I sigh dramatically.

"I guess I do. goodnight world!"

I say the last part loudly, the people at the camp fire probably heard me. Shane shakes his head, and get up leaving, and mumbling under his breath about what I need, or what he would like to do if I was his kid. I just roll my eyes.

Apollo is outside the tent and looking at me sadly, he's lonely. I peek outside the tent. Everybody is laughing and talking. I'm so glad I'm not over there I hate holding pointless conversation, well I hate holding any conversation. They usually end up talking about something I'm not comfortable with.

    I don't care what Lori and Shane say Apollo is gonna sleep with me at least for tonight.

"Apollo, come on boy."

He comes clumping into the tent, and I swear I can see him smiling. I use him as a pillow like usual. He falls asleep faster than usual, and I lay looking at the ceiling.

"Goodnight everybody, come on Carl bedtime."

I sigh when I hear Lori and Carl coming, if they know I'm awake they'll make Apollo leave. I quickly turn my head towards the other side of the tent and act like I'm sleeping, I'm good at doing this from experience with my daddy. It was better to be asleep when he came home.

"Goodnight, buddy." Shane, oh great.

"I'll be in in a minute Carl."

I hear Lori and Shane talk for a minute then it stops automatically. Jee I wonder what their up to. When I hear them say goodnight after a few minutes, Carl's asleep.

    Lori walks into the tent and grumbles quietly, then calls after Shane.

"Come see this!" She whisper/yells. I hear him sigh.

"do you want me to wake her up, and give her a good talking too?"

"What good would it do, talking to her is like beating your head against a stone wall." I smile, darn right their actually starting to get it.

"We can't keep letting her get away with everything, she's been acting like she owns this place." Shane rants.

"Maybe if we ignore it for a while she'll realize she's not getting a reaction and stop acting up."

"Yeah, and If she knows she's gonna get away with it she's gonna run with it."

"If she does somethin dangerous, or hurts something, we'll try something else. I don't think it's a good idea to get on her about ever small thing."

"Oh like when she threatened your son with a knife, went off by herself hunting, or ran away, or showed us more disrespect than ought be aloud?" He questioned getting irritated.

"you know what I mean," He sighs again.

"Fine we'll try it your way, but if it doesn't work things are gonna change in that little girls attitude, one way or another."

    I hear him stomp off, and Lori enter the tent. She kisses the head of a sleeping Carl, and goes to kiss mine, but I act like I'm trashing in my sleep before she does. She doesn't try again, and snuggles next to Carl till they are both snoring.

I sneak out of my tent and go to the fire to get some warmth. I look over and see the Dixon's camp with a fire going. That's strange they never keep there fire burnin longer than necessary specially at night. I better go check it out just in case.

    That's not the only reason though, I'd rather be closer to them than here I'd just feel safer. It makes me mad at myself to think that I got close to the people who are the reason I'm here having to listen to officer dimwit, and Lori.

I guess I'll stay down there I'd be better to see if Shane wakes up, and comes out. I could sneak around the opposite way and get back in the tent unnoticed.

(Merle's PRO)
I've been ticked off since Shane made Mason leave. Whatever reason she ran away for, it must've been bad seeing she's a tough lil brat.

"Hey Daryl, keep the fire goin tonight."

"What for?" He seems confused,

"I just wanna see somethin."

Before we go to bed that night I put a piece of jerky wrapped in foil out with a note that says

"eat it, or I'll make ya eat it," on a blanket, and leave it by the fire.

Who knows if the kid will come or not, but if she does it's there. I was keepin an eye on her tonight and saw her give all her food to tha' stupid dog. We're about to go to sleep when I hear a rustling and peak out to see none other than, Mason. I smile when she reads the note and scowls, she just looks like an angry kitten, and nothing more. It reminds me of when we first met. She has a good tough act, but not good enough. If I can see through Daryl's I can see through anything. She huffs and plops herself down on the ground.

(Masons PRO)
I see the note that was left. It makes me mad. If he thinks I'm gonna listen to a note... and anyway he doesn't even know I'm here. I start to give my food to Apollo when I hear Merle clear his throat. I immediately look up to see him giving me the dirtiest look. He says one sentence,
"Eat it or I'll feed it to ya."

He watches me as I shovel it into my mouth. I smirk,

"Thanks for the jerky, goodnight."

I say while I'm chewing. Hopefully it will gross him out, but knowing it's Merle probably not. He rolls his eyes, and unzips the tent, and sits by the fire.

"So..." He begins, well it's gonna be a long night.