52.Darkness

I don't listen to the words at the funeral just stand there with my arms crossed. Hershel is letting us move inside because of the cold weather. Daryl nudges me and I look up at him.
"I'm going huntin for a bit." I nod and start to walk away.
"What? You're not coming?" He asks and I turn around with a smile. We walk into the woods and I pull out my slingshot.
"Alright, we have a half hour. Stay in my sight whoever gets the most squirrels gets bragging rights." I smile and run to the left of him.

We are on our way back, and I'm definitely taking advantage of bragging rights. I think Daryl let me win cause he kept asking how many I had, and he ended up with one less than me. I had eight he had seven, he even carried them all back. When we got back everybody already had taken all their stuff to the house except for me and Daryl ours was in his truck. We had a lot of skinning to do so that occupies most of our time. Not like we had anything better to do and my dog loved the scraps.
We are walking to the house when Shane walks out of the shed. Why Carl said they killed Randall?
"What's Shane doing in the shed?"
"Being stupid," Daryl snaps. He's not angry at me though at the others.
"What do you mean?"
"They didn't have the guts to kill that scrawny wimp." I stop walking and he looks at me.
"Why don't you just kill him?"
"You know that attitude is what gets us both in trouble with Lori." He says with a smile. Of course he doesn't care what Lori whines about.
"She just cares about us," I defend her.
"She cares about you." I smile cause he isn't willing to admit that the others actually like him, well sorta.
"Go on inside I gotta talk with Rick."
"Okay bye!" I chuckles as I run back into the house, I go out to his truck real fast I want my backpack it has my knives. I like those close to me.
Carl and I have been playing checkers for a while when the adults all run out in a panic. Daryl runs in,
"Masie stay here! Randall's loose."
After we've waited upstairs for a good while Carl gets up and walks to the window.
"What are you doing?"
"I gotta help."
"You'll just get in the way!"
"You gotta promise not to tell."
"I ain't promising nothing, but if you get hurt don't come crying to me."
He scoffs and crawls out the window. How am I always the only one that gets in trouble for stupid stuff?
     When I hear the door open and Daryl's voice I run into the adults room. He ruffles my already messy hair.
"What's going on?" I ask, all the adults look concerned.
"Found Randall, he's dead." Daryl answers.
"How?"
"Somebody killed him looks like they snapped his neck."
"Would you please go find Rick and Shane and find out what's going on." Lori asks him with an urgent voice.
"You got it," Daryl agrees. Lori whispers her thanks, and Daryl comes over to me.
"You know how?" He asks with my gun in his hand.
"Yes sir."
"It ain't a toy."
"I know, and I ain't a kid." He scoffs out a quiet laugh and puts the gun in the waistband of my pants.
    I watch him walk out the door.
"Mason maybe I should hold onto..." Andrea starts.
"No."

     Daryl's been gone long... too long. I walk onto the porch to see if he's nearby. He's running up to the house, but what I see behind him is terrifying. Walkers, hundreds of them coming straight towards the house.
"Daryl?!"
"I know get inside, now!" He shouts.
I watch through the window as the walkers get closer.
"I can't find Carl!" Lori says frantically. I start to go upstairs trying to stay out of it.
"Mason have you seen Carl?" Daryl asks.
"Yes he went to find Rick. I tried to stop him Daryl honest I did."
"Oh my gosh!" Lori almost starts to cry.
Everybody goes back out, and starts shooting.
"Daryl?"
"Alright, But you best stay right by me ya hear?"
"Yes sir!" I grab the gun out and run to stand beside Daryl. One after the other the walkers start falling, but it's no use theirs too many of them. Then it hits me...
"My dog!" I scream. I try to run, but Daryl grabs my hand.
"No! It's suicide can't go now it's over run."
"Nooooo!" I scream loud.
"Lori!" Daryl shouts. And I feel myself being lifted into Lori's arms.
    It's only been a few minutes before people start to give up. Lori puts me down because I've stopped trying to get away. Everything's gone everything is over.
    I look over to a barrel full of water I go and get a drink. I sit against the metal water tank and watch everything go down Andrea is shooting at walkers coming to the side. I hear a loud shot it sounds like it hit the water tank. That's when I realize how dark it is.
"Daryl?" I ask but I get no answer. I rub my eyes and open them again still all I get is blackness. My ears are ringing, and I vaguely hear shouts.
"What did you do?!" Definitely Daryl.
"I didn't mean to it ricocheted!" Andrea defends.
"Mason!"
"Daryl, I can't see! I can't see!" I scream. I feel something grab me, and the snarls are getting louder. I hit and thrash.
"It's me Mason!" I gasp in realization that I'm blind and those things are getting close.
"Daryl I can't..."
"I know, it's okay I got you now." He assures.
"I'm scared."
"I know." I hear him shoot a few more times.
I feel somebody take me.
"No! Daryl help me!"
"Mason go with Lori. I'll be right there!" I cry and try to get out of her arms. Then I think, 'what am I gonna do? I can't see anything anyway.' The door closes, Beth is crying next to me, Lori is trying to calm her down, and T-dog is yelling about how we need to go.
"No! We have to wait for Daryl!"
"Sorry Mason." I feel the car start to move and I dive for the door.
"Mason stop it." Lori orders.
"Nooo! Daryl." I sob and scream as loud as I can. Lori pulls me to her and rocks me in her arms. I drift into a sleep filled with nightmares. Of everybody I've lost, Amy, Jim, Sophia, Dale, Merle, my mama, and now Daryl. And it's all my fault.

SORRY IT'S A DAY LATE MY BAD😬