17. So That Didn't go as Planned

I wake up to the smell of smoke. Merle is sittin outside the tent in a lawn chair. I sit up to fast and become a little dizzy. After I feel a little better I get up, and make the bed back up. Iexit the tent and see Merle putting his cigarette out.

"How'd ya sleep?"

"Alright," I answered.

"Liar, how'd ya end up in our tent?"

"A few hours ago Daryl had me move to the tent while he went off huntin."

"Hmm, he tell ya I was gonna go on the run today?" I shake my head yes.

"Can I come with ya?" I ask even though I already know the answer.

"Heck no, you're gonna stay here. And stay around camp, don't go wanderin off, or huntin. Got it?"

"Got it."

I reply disappointed in having to stay here. I look at camp, and see Shane watching us closely. I look away fast, and accept the squirrel Merle offers me, if I say no he'd force me ta eat it anyway. So why bother trying?

"When do ya leave?" I ask curiously.

"Half an hour. I've already told Amy to keep an eye on ya. Make sure you eat something."

"Why can't I come, I swear I won't be any trouble. I'm fast, quiet, and I know my way around Atlanta."

I lie about the last one, but he doesn't know that.

"Ya can't come because it's dangerous, and your a little girl. I don't want to hear another word about it, ya Understand?

"But I..." he stands up and grabs my biceps,

"not another word, ya hear?"

"Fine." He grips a little harder.

"What was that?"

"yes sir," he nods his head,

"Good," he walks into the woods. "Where ya goin?" He snorts.

"I'm going to take a leak. Why?" I shrug,

"Just wondering."

He chuckles and walks away. I sit down next ta Apollo, and finish my squirrel meat. Shane starts walkin towards me,

"Where've ya been?"

"Sleepin in, I was tired." He smiles

"How'd ya end up in the Dixon's tent, I seem to remember tellin ya to stay away from them." I scoff.

"Well I seem to remember tellin you I didn't care what you say. I like them, and I plan on staying with them as long as they'll let me." He sighs.

"Mason you don't even know them, how come you trust them and not us?" I couldn't even answer his question, not cause I don't wanna but I just don't know.

"I don't really know, maybe cause Apollo doesn't like you, but he does them, I heard dogs have a great sense of judgment." He smiles.

"I just hope ya know we are trying our best, so don't be a stranger."

"Yeah whatever." He sighs,

"Mason why don't you come play with Sophia, Carl, and Morales kid's? They're nice, and your age. I think it would probably be best, and Lori thinks so too." I scoff and roll my eyes.

"Maybe Lori should try to parent Carl before she adds another kid to the mix? She doesn't seem to pay attention to the one she's got very well, so I think I'd probably be better staying right where I am."

I say with so much attitude I surprise myself. Shane gives me the look of death, but walks away. I think I like this whole 'ignore her behavior' route their taking, I could benefit from it.

"What was that all about?" Merle questions.

"Who knows the way they sugar coat everything." Merle chuckles,

"I've gotta get ready to go,"

"do you know when Daryl's gonna get back?" I hope soon I don't know how long I can stay around camp with nothin to do.

"He'll be back tomorrow sometime. Why don't you go bug someone else for a while, huh? Don't got time for all your dumb questions."

I get up and start to leave when I get an idea, what if I went on the run anyway. Not like they could do anything about it if we were in Atlanta when they found out. Merle already told me not to, but oh well he ain't gonna do a freakin thing to stop me.

I run back to Lori and Carl's tent and grab my backpack. If I'm goin I'm gonna get some stuff for myself. After emptying the bag out completely, I put all the stuff in my sleeping bag hoping nobody will notice. I grab my gun from underneath the blanket, and make sure its loaded and on safety, and put it in my waistband covered by my plaid over shirt. I grab my knives and hide one in my boot, and the other up my sleeve. Shane has my other one, I need to git it back, but how is the question.

I lookouts outside the tent, and see Shane slip out of camp. I give a knowing smirk when Lori follows a moment after. Good, they ought ta be gone for a while. I go straight to Shane's tent and look around. I see some blankets and a notebook, his duffel bag is under his cot. I pull it out remembering the exact spot it started in, so he wouldn't notice it was moved around.

     I unzip it and move a crumpled up pair of pants, and a baseball hat. I don't see it at first but then I move a bottle of... cologne? Cologne really? It's the freakin end of the world and your worried about smellin like a... pine forest? I scoff, but at least my knife is right there. I grab it, and carefully put everything back just the way Shane had it to begin with.

I put the knife up my sleeve. I ripped up a fabric a few years ago, and sowed it on to the inside of my sleeve. That way I wouldn't have to worry about a knife cutting my wrist open, or falling out. I do a quick look both ways to make sure no ones watching me.

When I see nothing I slip out of the tent, and am about to head back to camp when I see it. It's slithering on the ground right outside the tent. it's only a harmless garden snake, but I think it will do the trick. I grab it carefully so it doesn't bite me. It might not be able to kill me, but its bite still hurts like the dickens.

     I sneak back into Shane's tent and unzip his sleeping bag. I place the snake down gently and zip the sleeping bag back up with a mischievous grin. It stays in the bag, and I make a dash to get outta of the tent.

I get back and grab my backpack, and sneak back to camp where the vehicles that they are talking are. I get in one of the cars, and hide under a duffel I'm guessing they have for supplies. I hear talking and a few people open the doors. Now all I have to do is wait for the right moment. I'm not so sure this is a good idea anymore, but it's too late now. The driver starts the car and we are off.

We only ended up having to take one car because Ed backed off going to Atlanta. He probably wasn't even gonna go to start out with, but it didn't matter. No one could force him ta go. I figure out Merle's driving, and Morales is up front with him. The rest are squished in the back.

"I'm gonna hop in the trunk." Glenn states as I feel a bag moved off me, and Glenn sits about a foot away from me.

Luckily I have another bag over me, that's covering me pretty well, or I'd have surely been discovered too early into the trip. And they'd make me stay. Well this is great, I'm in the trunk under a bag that could be moved any second. I wish we'd have just taken the other vehicle, that way it'd be harder for them ta find me. I guess I'm just flat out unlucky. This is gonna be a long ride.

I've been waiting to post this chapter for a while... I hope y'all like it!