5. The Camp

Shane finally came back to the car and told us we could get out. It's the first time I am more than happy to listen to him.
    When we all jumped out I grabbed my backpack and put it on my back. Carl runs to his mother who was making her way towards another car. I just awkwardly stand there looking around.

The other people start getting out of there cars, an old guy with a stupid hat got out of his RV, followed by two young blonde girls. He started talking to a Korean guy, and a tall guy with dark hair.

    Soon a lady with dark skin and hair joined them. It seemed like everyone was busy, Some people were setting up tents, others built a fire, and a few just sat there in shock.

I saw my chance and quietly slipped into the woods. It's about time I got back to the truck, and figure out my next move after a good night sleep.

    I was about a hundred meters from the RV when a twig snapped in front of me. I stopped suddenly and looked around. It was probably nothing, but deep down my gut told me it was definitely something. I pulled out my knife. 
    Out of nowhere a big figure slowly comes out of the bushes. I look a little closer and realize it is a beautiful German Shepherd. it looks tired I ask it

"hey boy where are you from? Are you lost?"

He barks and his tail wags slowly. I get down on my knees and he comes and lays his head on my thighs.

I realize I don't have enough food to last. Maybe if I stay at the camp for a little while longer I can stock up on supplies without them knowing. I'd have to take it slow so nobody gets suspicious.

"come on boy," I commanded the dog.

When I looked around the camp and see Shane and Lori looking around frantically. Oh boy, I wonder who their looking for. Instead of telling them where I am I think I will take a look around.

It is actually a pretty spot, there's a quarry with a gorgeous blue lake. Everybody has set up their tents. The couple that Lori was talking to was now at the fire, the man reminded me of daddy, the woman and young girl look so fragile, it was as if they would break. I think I'll go sit by the fire, I call the dog, and turn around and bump right into the redneck guys.

"Watch were your goin,"

   the younger one says, they both do a double take when they see the dog.

"What's that?" The older one says confused.

"It's a dog, duhhh,"

I walk right past them and stomp to the fire.i sit on the ground with my back resting on the log I am just starting to relax. My dog, I should really name him, lays contently at my side.

    All of the sudden a hand grabs my arm and roughly pulls me up I let out a small yelp.

" Where were you? we were looking everywhere for you!"

     He yelled I was about to give him a sassy remark when my dog stood on all fours, And bared his teeth. His hair stood up on his neck and he was growling dangerously.

Shane stood there fear and anger in his eyes. He is reaching for his gun slowly.

"No stop!" I cried, Throwing myself over my dog.

"Get away from that wild animal!" shouted Lori.

"It ain't no wild animal it's my dog, and he's trying to protect me from you!"

" let's everybody just calm down," the man with the funny hat replies cooly.

"it's been a long day and everybody is tired and scared, let's just go to bed and figure everything out in the morning." Shane sighed,

"Glen would you take first watch?"

"Sure," he replies. Shane turns to me,

"I'll take care of you tomorrow, but this," he points to my dog,

"I'm gonna take care of right now." When he steps forward I say with a low voice,

"no him no me, you can't watch me all day and night everyday for the rest of my life. I could've been gone by now, but I came back. If you do anything to my dog I will not stop running away, trust me I will eventually make it." He sighs.

"Mase,"

"Mason," I correct. He sighs again,

"we don't know anything about this dog, he could be rabid for all we know."

" he would have attached by now. He has a collar and everything, he's a good dog and he already tried to protect me." He sighed.

" just let her keep the freaking dog!" Glenn exclaimed.

I think I he's my favorite person right now, because Shane finally dropped the matter.

    I sighed in relief and sat back down at the fire. Lori came over and made me come to her and Carl's tent to stay the night, she told me no animals in the tent so my dog slept right by the door.

I sit and think about what I should name him, I hear a crinkle in my pocket and remember the picture of me and my mother, so I pull it out.

    Dear Masie,
     I love you more than words can describe. I am sorry I have to leave you, but I cannot stay here anymore. Be brave, and know that I will think of you always.
                                      ,Love mama

    Well it's nice to know you are thinking of the daughter that you left with a abusive drunken piece of garbage, I thought to myself.

    Well, I don't need anybody to think of me, or pity me over life. Things happened and it has prepared me for the situation around me.

   If I had been coddled like Carl or the other kids I saw running around laughing, and having fun I wouldn't have even made it out of the truck. I am brave, I am gonna make it, and I ain't gonna ask no power hungry officer, overbearing women, or old men for help.