26. It Is An Art My Friends

Well, we've been sitting at this stupid spot for ten minutes now, and not a single frog. Shane walked a little farther away from us to 'scope out the grounds' is what he called it.

"You getting anything Carl?" I ask, and he gives me a bored look,

"What do you think?" I frown.

"I think this is a bloody waste of time, I mean think of all the other things we couldn't be doing." I say sarcastically getting a small smile from him.

"Ya know for a little kid you're pretty cool." I roll my eyes.

"Thanks old man." He laughs.

Shane comes back, and tells us we're gonna try a different tactic, and proceeded to creep slowly into the water. With no warning at all he starts yelling and splashing at Carl and I, he even falls all the way in. When he stands up Carl and I look in our buckets, and Shane looks at us hopefully.

"Nothin." We say in unison, he smirks.

"Well looks like we'll just try again."

This time he grabs Carl and I off our spots on the rock, and into his arms.

"This may scare them towards us!" He yells, throwing Carl and I into the blue water.

We're all laughing, and splashing around. I try to dunk Carl, but I'm much smaller than him, so he grabs me, and jumps with me so we both go under. Shane is looking at us smiling and laughing. I look at Carl, and we both have the same idea.

We both run straight at Shane, he wasn't expecting us to, so He tumbles into the water backwards making a huge splash. Now we're all laughing and Shane is swinging me and Carl around in the air, and letting us go so we fall into the water.

Everything is fun and games until Lori comes striding towards us. We all stop, and look at her soaking wet. She stomps over, and scolds Carl for leaving Dale's sight, and then turns to me.

"Oh no, I'm doing exactly what I was told this time, and with Shane."

I defended myself proudly, and Shane laughs at my reaction. Putting a hand on my back affectionately.

"Carl go back to camp," he sighs but obeys.

     I look from Lori to Shane, and decide maybe I should go help with some actual chores.

"Thanks Shane, I'm gonna go help with laundry," I say nervously.

"See ya later." I add, and walk away fast.

I walk over to where Sophia is.

"Hi Mason," She says voice downcast, somethings wrong.

"What's the matter?" I ask, knowing very well 'what's the matter'. She looks about ready to cry,

"My dad hit us again,"

"Do you know what made him mad?"

"He wanted to..." she couldn't finish her sentence.

"My mom wouldn't let him."

I wanted to cry for her, or tell her to tell Shane. I am afraid Ed will hear though, so I don't.

"I'm so sorry Sophia. When Daryl gets back, I know he'll help." She looks scared,

"No! You can't tell anybody!" She whisper/yells.

"Daryl is different, I swear," I assure her she nods.

"Alright." She agrees with hesitation.

"What so funny?"