Chapter 4 ~ I Don't Listen Well

Note: So I've been having a terrible bout of writer's block for this story lately so bear with me, ya'll! lol But I finally was able to write a chapter so I hope y'all like it and decide to stick with the story :) Now on to the new chapter!

Episode: Season 11 - Thin Lizzie Pt. 1

I let out an exasperated huff, only to earn myself another glare from the angel sitting in the corner, his tan trench coat crumpled.

"Pacing like that won't make them come back any sooner," he advised me, blue eyes bright as he arched an eyebrow, having been cured by the Winchester a couple of weeks ago.

I rolled my own dark eyes at his suggestion, still attempting to walk a hole in the floor from my excessive pacing.

"I should have gone with them. I don't know why I let them ever talk me into staying here-" I ranted, throwing my hands up in the air.

"Oh, they'll talk you into a lot of things," Castiel murmured under his breath as his eyes went back to scanning the newspaper in front of him.

I bit down hard on my lip as silence fell inside the Bunker, glancing at the clock on the wall as it ticked down another number.

"That's it," I huffed out finally, snatching my worn leather jacket off the chair opposite Cas and slipping it on over my clothes, "I'm going after them,"

I think Cas must have choked on his own spit at that point because he began to cough and splutter something, only to have me ignore him, of course, as I made my way up the stairs to the door.

"They said for you to stay here, Carter!" he called after me after he finally regained his voice.

I glared daggers at him as I spun on my heel to face the disgruntled angel, "And I'm a Reaper. Which means no one controls my actions."

And with those last words, I focused on teleporting, shutting my eyes as I felt my atoms start to stretch and pull apart, feeling myself begin to fade as all reapers did when we transported ourselves to other locations. I could hear Castiel shouting after me but his voice became distant as I slipped further and further between where I was and where I wanted to go. When I first became a reaper, there had been pain when I did it. But the older I got, the more I learned to control that and now I only felt a slight tingle. My eyes flew open then and I smirked at the backs of my two new favorite hunters as I realized I was now sitting in the back of the Impala.

I glanced out the window then at the quickly-passing trees and a genuine smile split my face as I turned my head back in the direction of the brothers.

"I love car rides, don't you? There's just something about a road trip that-" I began but never got to finish my sentence after Dean abruptly hit the brakes, throwing me forward only to be met with the back of the front seat being shoved into my chest.

I let out a groan before I pushed myself back into my own seat as the boys turned around to face me.

"Ah, did you have to do that?! You knocked the wind right out of me!" I snapped at the eldest Winchester before blinking once in contemplation, "If I had wind, that is..."

My eyes widened then, my cheeks flaming scarlet as I saw Sam fight a smile despite himself and I began to shake my head vehemently, "Wait, that's not what I meant-"

"What are you doing here, Carter? I thought we told you stay behind. With Cas," Dean reprimanded, cutting me off.

I rolled my eyes, "You do know I'm a lot older than you, right? You have no authority over me, I'm not your baby brother,"

Both Winchesters glared at that remark but I shrugged it off as Sam spoke up, saying pointedly, "This is our case, Carter. One you're not a part of,"

I ran my fingertips along the worn-down leather of the seat as I contemplated his words, rolling them around in my head as I let it sink in.

"Fine. I get that. But I'm still supposed to be watching over you two goofs. What if one of you dies? Then where would you be?"

"Dead?" Dean piped up and I sent him a glare.

"Exactly," I shot back, arching my eyebrows for emphasis, "and don't forget what Billie said - no comebacks this time, boys,"

Both Winchesters fell silent at that and Sam shot his brother a look - one that seemed to say 'Well, she does have a point'. Dean glared back at his brother before huffing and turning back around in his seat to start up the car once more. Grinning triumphantly, I closed my eyes, settling back into the seat as we took off down the road, on our way to a case. I could hear classic rock playing lowly in the car then, a sound that would have lulled me to sleep had I been human. Oh, the days when I'd wanted that. For a while, all I had wanted was to be part of their world, apart of humanity and all its terrible glory. But that wasn't my destiny, so it seemed. Fate had other ideas for me...

I would have thought further on it but suddenly, something shook me from my reverie. A familiar tingle that spread throughout my entire body, like a warning signal. One I knew all too well as I frowned deeply in thought.

Someone was about to die.