Chapter 25 ~ A Human Life

Sam's face was a plethora of emotions but one stood out among the rest - hurt. Hot tears filled my eyes once more and I fought to keep them at bay. But it was hard when staring back at me was the hurt expression of the person I loved most in this world.

"I have to go, Sammy. I'm not..." I took a deep breath then, swallowing down my own sadness as I held my wrist out to him, the Reaper marking long-since having disappeared, "I'm not a Reaper anymore."

"Wait...what?" he asked with widened eyes, shock evident on his face as he glanced down at the now-empty space on my skin, "But-but how-?... How is that even possible?"

"Billie took my powers," I confessed, unable to stop my voice from cracking, "I'm...I'm human now, Sam,"

He opened his mouth once then closed it, silence stretching between us before he was finally able to form words again, "I don't...I don't understand. How is that a bad thing? You don't have to reap anymore - you can live your life, be human. I thought you wanted that?"

"I do! But what am I without my powers? Who am I? I'm just..." I bit my lip hard to stop the flow of tears but it was much too late for that as they slid in succession down my cheeks, "I'm just a stupid girl who couldn't save you from dying..."

The look of hurt crumbled then, melting into that of concern and understanding.

"No. No, no, baby, no!" Sam said softly as he crossed the distance between us in one stride, pulling me to his chest as I cried, "That wasn't your fault. Not at all, okay? You did what you could. And I'm okay - I'm here. We both are,"

I shook my head as the tears fell fast, dampening his plaid shirt against my cheek, "But what am I going to do now, Sammy? I don't have anywhere to go - what am I going to do with my life?"

Sam's gentle fingers pushed a dark strand of hair back behind my ear as he slowly tilted my face up to gaze up into his own. A small smile graced his features as he caressed my cheek.

"You're gonna stay here. With me," he said simply, eyes alight with happiness as his sweet smile widened.

I started to protest, shaking my head but he stopped me with a gentle kiss to my lips, cutting off my words completely. But it was a nice interruption as I melted into his arms, my fingers threading through his shaggy brown hair. When he finally pulled away, I was breathless, gazing up into the warmth of his gaze.

"I know you love me..." he whispered against my mouth and I gasped.

"H-how? How did you..." I trailed off as he admitted.

"I wasn't...conscious. But I heard you. I always do,"

My mouth went dry, suddenly at a loss for words. But he wasn't as he smiled down at me, hands moving down to caress the small of my back, making me shiver.

"I love you, Carter," he confessed suddenly, his words low and soft.

Those three words sent my heart soaring in my chest and a smile slowly split my face, leaving me feeling as if I would burst from pure joy. The pure joy of being Sam's. This time, I leaned up, capturing his mouth with my own. He smiled into it before pulling me closer, leaving no distance between us any longer. My body molded to his, feeling his heart beating fast through his shirt. Kisses became more fervent then and I let him push me backwards onto the bed as he left a trail of butterfly kisses down my neck. My eyes fluttered shut in pure happiness of this moment with Sam.

Because I loved him. I always had.