Chapter 11 ~ Left Out

Episode: Season 11 - O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I wrung my hands together nervously as I paced the floor, my combat boots scuffing the cracked white tile of the Bunker. After Dean had, erm...discovered us, he had promptly propelled Sam out of the room. Assuming I wasn't invited, I had taken to waiting outside the doorway leading to the library. I could hear every word being said though and I took advantage of that fact, listening to their voices bounce off the high walls of the building.

"Because it's crazy, okay? And it's not gonna happen. How many times do I have to say that this is a horrible idea?" Dean's voice boomed loudly, white hot anger clear in his tone.

"About as many times as I have to say, "Okay, then what else we got?" Sam defended himself, making me frown in confusion, "Listen, I'm all ears. Dean, ordinarily, I'd agree with you. But the visions only happen when I reach out to God. I asked him for a way to beat the Darkness, and the visions got more specific. And...I was in the Cage,"

Wait, what? What were they discussing anyhow? Slowly, I stepped into the room, being careful so as not to disturb the two brothers.

"Yeah, with Lucifer, the biggest monster ever hatched. Fan-freakin'-tastic!" Dean snapped back at him, jaw clenched.

"You know what? Lucifer was the biggest monster ever hatched, until you and I hatched one that's even worse. Listen, in the vision, Lucifer touches me. And I feel calm, like things will be all right. And that's not something I would ever come up with. I mean, that is the last thing I would ever think-"

"-yeah, if Lucifer touched you, it would be the last thing you think, ever!"

Dean got up from the table then, walking over to pour himself another glass of whiskey, "Why would God even ask this of you? And you know what? What proof do we have that any of this is actually real?"

"There was a burning bush," Sam replied quietly, hazel orbs flicking up to glance at him, "Like in the Bible,"

"You were in the forest. There are bushes there and sometimes they burn!" Dean snapped, pinching the bridge of his nose between his index finger and thumb as he sat down to face his brother, "You know what, man? Maybe there is something to it all. Maybe. And maybe there's not,"

"Dean, doesn't it make sense? I mean, Lucifer would know how God ended the Darkness - he was there..."

I bit my lip in thought, knowing this all could very well end in our destruction. Talking to Lucifer? Actually putting your trust in him? It was insane...

Dean must have agreed with me then because he only shook his head in response to Sam's words, downing another sip of his alcohol.

Only a short while later, the brothers had begun to pack for another trip - this time to go meet with the demon I'd heard so much about, in hopes that he may be able to help them decipher Sam's visions. A demon who'd actually managed to make something of himself and become the 'King' of Hell: Crowley. The soft thuds of their feet clattered up the rickety metal stairs that led to the Bunker's front door as I watched them go, arms crossed over my Mortal Instruments shirt. But Sam couldn't just leave like this - going off to talk to some demon about trusting this-this fallen angel... What if he got hurt? What if...

My thoughts trailed off then, letting my mind move into overdrive as I rushed after Sam, his brother having already walked out the door.

"Sam! Sam, wait!" I called after him, chewing the inside of my cheek anxiously as he finally flicked his gaze down to where I was waiting at the bottom of the steps, "Let me come with you - you need me on this. I can help!"

Our eyes locked - brown clashing with hazel - and I sucked in a breath, awaiting his reply before his words brought my hope crashing down.

"I'm sorry, Car. You can't... Not this time..." he said quietly before stepping into the sunlight on the other side, letting the metal door slam shut behind him with a resounding boom.

My heart sunk in my chest and I ran a hand through my hair in frustration. But as I turned around, still trying to come up with some sort of a plan, I found Cas standing behind me. His hands were in his trench-coat pockets, electric blue gaze glued to me with his usual intensity.

"Cas...I have a bad feeling about this. Something's not right - I can feel it. We need to be there!" I insisted, knowing he'd believe me.

One thing you could always count on with Cas - if there was even a remote possibility that the Winchesters were in danger, he would be the first to help. So suffice it to say, I wasn't surprised to hear his next words.

"Let's go get them."