Chapter 31 ~ World in Remission

Episode: Season 11 - Alpha and Omega Pt. 5

White, glowing light shined into my eyes as soon as I blinked them open. It took a couple of seconds to finally see and then, more to realize just what I was seeing. I had stumbled into a garden inside what looked to be an offshoot of a church or some holy place. It made sense, I suppose, I thought to myself as my gaze drifted over to that of God talking to the Darkness.

"Brother, i-in the beginning it was just you and me. And we were family. I loved you, and I thought-" her voice caught then, full of raw pain but she pressed on, "I knew that you loved me..."

Chuck frowned, clearly feeling remorse. I was about to take a step back, feeling uncomfortable about intruding when a voice from behind caught me off-guard. As well as the hand that was now firmly gripping my wrist, spinning me around to face a set of grass-green eyes.

"What are you doing here?" Dean snapped but I could feel concern bleeding through his anger-fueled words, "You're supposed to be back there - with Sammy."

Scowling, I ripped my wrist free of his grasp, rubbing the now-red skin there with two fingers, "I was. And then I realized that it shouldn't be this way..."

His eyes narrowed in confusion, "What are you talking about?"

I bit my lip, sighing as I shook my head, "You can't do this, Dean. You can't just throw your life away. I know it's to save the world, I know it's for the better..."

Dean's expression to any outsider would be unreadable by this point but I knew him better than that now - I could see through the mask he put up to keep others out.

"But I also know that losing you? That'll break Sam. You know it as well as I do," I told him vehemently, not backing down from my argument.

He said nothing for a while, pursing his lips in thought before finally after minutes, he spoke, "So what's your big mastermind plan then, huh, Carter? What are you gonna do to stop this?"

Before I could speak, we were cut off by the sound of Amara's voice.

"What you've made - it's beautiful..." she admitted, stunning both Dean and I as we listened, "It took me a long time to see that. I know that we can't go back to the way things were. I don't want to. But I wish...I wish that we could just be family again,"

"I do too." Chuck agreed, letting out a relieved breath at her admission.

Ever so slowly, he held out his hand to her and surprisingly, she took it. As soon as their hands touched, a bright glow limned the entire place. It lit up the skies, the heavens and everything...everything was so bright, so...so beautiful. The darkness that had been brewing for the past eight weeks had now come to a close, the sun bursting through the black clouds, letting light shine into every corner that it had been vacant of.

A smile split my face and as I glanced over at Dean beside me, I saw his mirroring the same expression of utter happiness. It was over. It was finally over.