Chapter 22 ~ Fatal Choices

Episode: Season 11 - Red Meat Pt. 2

With only a little convincing on Dean's part though, we'd agreed to keep moving - all of us. But when we finally made it to the cabin, the power was completely dead. No phone, no lights - nothing.

"Hey, we gotta keep moving!" Corbin snapped at me and Dean as I helped Sam into a leaning position on the counter, one hand pressed protectively on his back, "Those of us who...who can,"

Excuse him?!

"What did you say?" I asked, my voice dropping low, borderline venomous.

"Look, hey, Michelle's real sick, but she's got a chance. Him? He's slowing us down. And if they find us-"

"We saved you, okay? We saved both of you," Dean snapped, glaring daggers back at him.

"It's three lives versus one," he shrugged.

Dean shoved him backwards at that remark before Sam began to protest, "Dean, stop! Dean he's right,"

"What?! No, he's not, Sam! We're getting out of this - all of us!" I declared firmly.

But Sam only shook his head, "You guys need to-to go. Move. Go find help. Come back for me,"

"No, Sam! No!" Dean objected vehemently before continuing, "I'm gonna go outside, I'm gonna find some wood, gonna build you a litter, and we are going to carry him the rest of the way!"

Sam groaned from beside me as Dean went outside, door slamming behind him. I sighed, shaking my head at the mess we'd gotten ourselves into. Gently, I helped him to sit down on the floor, back pressed against the cabinets.

"Shh, it's okay. It's all gonna be okay..." I murmured, smoothing the damp strands of brown hair back from his forehead.

I frowned. His skin was getting warmer which was not a good sign.

"That's it. I don't care what you say - I'm healing you right now," I shook my head, ignoring his noises of protest completely as I pressed my hand gently to his wound.

He hissed in pain even at the slightest touch, the sound whistling past his clenched teeth. But the familiar white glow didn't appear in my palm, the tingling sensation of reaper power sliding up my veins - none of it. I frowned in confusion. What in the world?! Pressing down a bit harder, I focused all my energy on his wound, willing it to heal. Still...nothing happened. Letting my hand fall, I glanced down to find only a tiny smear of Sam's blood in the center of my palm.

Tears pricked my eyes at the sickening realization. Somehow, some way...my powers were gone.

I couldn't save Sam.

"Carter...Carter," Sam coughed as he struggled to keep his eyes open, "Go find Dean. Please, Car...baby, you gotta go..."

"No," I choked on the word, fighting to keep the onslaught of tears at bay as I shook my head, "We're not leaving you. Look, I'm gonna go help Dean. But I'll be back,"

As I stood, I reached down to press a gentle kiss of reassurance to his forehead.

"We're gonna get help, Sammy. I promise." I whispered, my lips brushing against his warm skin.

In a flash, I was gone - out the door to find Dean. Never knowing that leaving him behind - even for a split second - would be the worst mistake of my life. When I finally had retrieved Dean from the woods and made it back to the cabin, we found Sam lying on the floor...completely still.

"Sam?" Dean asked, racing to his side before dropping to his knees, "Sammy!"

He pressed two fingers to his neck and paled, glancing over at Corbin and Michelle.

"What happened?!"

"I don't know. He just went..." Corbin said quickly, his voice slightly shaky.

"Sammy?" I asked in a small voice, feeling my chest constrict in dread while I fell to my knees beside his brother.

I shook him gently, "No, no, no... Please no. Sammy? Sam! Sam, wake up! Sam, you have to wake up!"

Dean said nothing, his expression unreadable as he watched, chest heaving up and down as he fought his own emotions. But as I gently kept moving Sam, the realization hit me all at once. With shaking hands, I stopped, hot tears welling up in my brown eyes.

"Oh, no. Oh, please, no! No!" I shook my head, repeating the words over and over like a mantra, as if repeating it wouldn't make it real.

Teardrops finally began to slide down my cheeks anyway, unbidden as my voice cracked, "No, Sammy - no, you can't be - NO!"

I shrieked the last word, my voice getting louder and louder. Dean grabbed me then, forcefully pulling me into his chest as I fell into a fit of hysteric sobs, letting it all out. This couldn't be happening! It just couldn't, it wasn't real! How could it be... I balled up the back of Dean's jacket in my fists as I held onto him for dear life, letting out another gut-wrenching sob into his shirt. It felt like I couldn't breathe.

"I...I loved him, Dean. I loved him." I choked out and at that, Dean only held me tighter.

Nothing felt real.

But as I let my eyes wander to the still figure of my boyfriend, I knew it to be true.

Sam was dead.