Chapter 29 ~ When the Party's Over...

Episode: Season 11 - Alpha and Omega Pt. 3

"Well, now we have the bomb, so we just got to find Amara," Sam spoke up.

"I can track her," Chuck volunteered, "She's not warded anymore. Why would she be? She won,"

"Okay, so?" Dean asked.

"We need somebody to get close to her, someone with a personal connection," Cas told him.

Silence reigned then and I bit my lip hard, knowing full well he meant Dean.

"Well, what are we waiting for? How do I smuggle this thing?" he stepped up to Rowena, ignoring the looks of pity he was receiving around the room.

"You won't carry the bomb," she informed him, a lock of fiery red hair falling across her shoulder, "You'll be the bomb. I'm gonna take what's in there-"

She gestured to the brightly glowing rock then that Billie had given us before placing her hand to Dean's chest, "-and put it in here. Once you get close to her, you press your fingers together like so. Boom."

I sucked in a sharp breath, closing my eyes. This wasn't how it was supposed to be... And yet, it was. Because mere hours later, I found myself standing by Cas in the graveyard as the boys said their goodbyes to each other and then Dean to the grave of their mother. It was a hard thing to watch - I could see it was killing Sam inside to let him go. It was all just happening too fast...

A few minutes later, Dean walked back over to us to say his goodbyes. Cas hugged Dean first and then it was my turn. I'd never thought I could feel this close to the eldest Winchester but in the past few months, he'd become one of the closest friends I had in this world.

"I could go with you," I offered, breaking away from his embrace a minute later.

"No, no, no. No, I got to do this alone," he shook his head, making me frown before he went on, "Listen, if...when-when this works, Sam - he's gonna be a mess. So look out for him, okay? Make sure he doesn't do anything stupid,"

"Of course," I told him softly, meaning every word as I gazed back into green orbs that held so much misery at having to leave his little brother behind.

He put his hand on my shoulder then, sincerity ringing clear in his voice, "Thank you for everything."

Giving him a small smile in response, he nodded once to me before stepping back.

"Okay, look. I want a big funeral," Dean said then as he spread his arms briefly, gesturing around him, "Alright? I'm talking epic. Okay? Open bar, choir, Sabbath cover band, and Gary Busey reading the eulogy,"

Sam nodded solemnly, holding back his emotions, "Done."

"And for my ashes, I like it here..." he said softly, glancing around at the cemetery where his mother rested, "Yeah... You know, as far as eternal resting places go..."

He went quiet then and I could feel my heart breaking in my chest for Sammy. The look in his eyes was unbearable. Dean gave the keys to Baby to him then and I looked away as they said their goodbyes...their very last goodbyes. Then...in the blink of an eye, Dean was gone.

Just like that.