Chapter 13 ~ Adventures in Babysitting Angels

Episode: Season 11 - The Devil in the Details Pt. 2

Smoke filled my lungs as I made my way closer to the blast site. The destruction stretched out for miles in all directions - it was unreal, I hadn't seen anything like it in at least 70 years... Whatever I had expected to find - it wasn't this.

Debris circled the gaping crater, the grass all around scorched black and crisp as if fire and brimstone had showered down from above. Not to mention the sky had turned a dark, inky blue as if nightfall was already upon us. I glanced over to Castiel then and he nodded to me which I returned as I followed him into the patch of woods off to the side. We had only walked for a few minutes when suddenly, a twig snapped somewhere nearby. My head shot up, instantly drawn to the sound as a woman come forward out of the darkness. Her hair was ebony, falling in ringlets around her heart-shaped face.

Her aura was the same as Cas' though and I instantly could feel the angelic powers radiating off her in waves.

"Who are you?" Cas asked her, immediately suspicious as he stood in front of me protectively.

"Ambriel. I work in birth/death statistics in Heaven. I-I'm an-I'm an angel," the girl said, stuttering out the last part nervously and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, we know," I said sarcastically.

The girl was silent a moment then as she took us in, eyes flitting from me to Cas, "And you're...Castiel?... I've heard stories about you,"

I arched an eyebrow in surprise, "Really? Anything saucy?"

Cas elbowed me in the ribs then and I mouthed 'ow', rubbing my side as he continued to question the other angel, "Why are you here?"

"Same reason you are,"

"Heaven wants to know if the Darkness has been destroyed?"

"Yeah, pretty much,"

"And they sent you?" he asked her, blue eyes narrowing as he took a step closer.

"Are you gonna kill me?" Ambriel asked in a small voice.

"Is that what they say, that I kill angels?"

"Well, that's the nicest thing they say," she shrugged and I bit the inside of my cheek to stop from laughing at the mere idea of that, Castiel sighing as she went on, "Maybe we can work together, so no one murders anyone?"

"Right. Fine," he shook his head, tucking his Angel Blade back into his trench-coat.

"Okay, so I've searched the east end of the forest. Nothing weird,"

"Really? You know it is the middle of the afternoon," I pointed out to the girl.

"So...?" she scrunched up her face in thought.

"So...why is it dark?" I finished, arching one dark eyebrow.

She went silent then and then in thought replied, "Excellent question."

Cas and I shared an exasperated look of mutual frustration before suddenly, the cellphone in his pocket started ringing. Frowning, he patted his jeans pocket...and then the other pocket. Then his coat pockets before I threw my hands up in defeat.

"Seriously?! Where did you put it?!" I huffed, rolling my brown eyes.

"Don't get snippy with me - you don't know how hard it is for my kind to keep up with this-this modern human communication!" he defended himself.

"Yeah, it's called a cellphone, Cas. A cellphone-" I started to sass him before he finally fished it out of the right pocket...just as it went to voicemail.

"Hey, Cas, I know you're fighting the good fight right now-" Dean's voice crackled through the phone's speaker, "-but, um, I need you at 3rd and Pine, Kenesaw, Nebraska. 'Cause, uh, I'm going to Hell."

The call ended then and I glanced up into my angel friend's blue orbs, the worry there mirroring my own.

"I'll get it," I volunteered as he began to protest, "You go with Ambriel, see if you can figure out what happened here and I'll deal with this."

He bit his lip, entirely wanting to refute that - to tell me it wasn't a problem. But he couldn't deny that if a Winchester was talking about going to Hell, it was serious - he knew that even better than I did.

Sighing, he nodded to me as he began to follow Ambriel deeper into the woods, throwing over his shoulder as he went, "But be careful!"

"I will, Mama Cas!" I called back, briefly hearing Cas grumble something along the lines of 'sassy reapers' just as I teleported myself out of there to Dean's location.

Upon opening my eyes, I found myself in what looked to be an old storage building. Dean stood just in front of me with his back turned.

"Cas! Cas, where have you been? What's hap-" he said, turning at the sound before I cut him off as our eyes met.

"Sorry, Dean. Not Cas. More like Cas-adjacent. What's going on over here?" I asked.

But before he could reply, my eyes flicked over to the previously-empty spot beside me only to find Billie standing there. My eyebrows hit my hairline in surprise at her sudden appearance. She smirked in response to my reaction, clearly enjoying the shock mirrored on my face as well as Dean's.

"Um...hey, boss."

"Baby Grim, nice of you to drop by."