Chapter 7 ~ Stranger Cases

Episode: Season 11 - Thin Lizzie Pt. 4   

The body count only continued to grow in this sleepy little town and soon, there was another victim to add to the list. I was only happy I was doing this case with Sam now instead of Dean since they'd decided to split up on this one. But apparently, Amara - who I now knew as something called the Darkness - was behind it all. She was killing people - or rather eating their souls - left and right.

We were on our way back to the second victim's house now. Sam thought there was something else going on there and of course, I had no choice but to come along for the ride. As Sam cut the engine on the car, I frowned, glancing past him out the window to the suburban house perched on the curb. It didn't look like anything suspicious had happened here - at least not on the outside. But regardless, I followed Sam up the steps obligingly.

"Hello?" he called out, rapping his knuckles against the glass.

We waited a beat and hearing no answer from inside, we both frowned. Brushing past the tall man, I made my way over to the other side of the porch to peer into one of the windows. The blinds were up so I could see inside perfectly. But as I looked in, my eyes widened in surprise. The house was in shambles. Furniture overturned, papers scattered, pictures that hung on the wall now askew...

"Sam," I called him over, "Something happened in here..."

He walked to me and after a quick glance inside, he tilted his head towards the driveway, "Well, the blue car's the mom's. I saw it last night,"

He sighed then, shaking his head before pulling out his phone, "Dean needs to know about this. Because if it was what I think it is..."

Sam didn't say more to me as Dean must've picked up and he immediately filled him in on all that had happened so far. My eyes traveled back to the front door then as Sam talked. Biting my lip, I stepped over to it just as Sam ended the call. We had to hurry if we were going to save them. Closing my eyes, I could almost feel Sam's eyes burning into the back of my head, wondering what I was doing. But I had to block that out, focus on the task at hand.

Concentrating hard, I pictured it unlocking in my mind, as if I was turning the knob from the other side myself. And just like that, a faint little 'click' rang out in the silence and my eyes flew open just as the door did. Smiling triumphantly to myself, I turned to Sam to find him staring at me in shock. I shrugged at him with a smirk before turning back to the now-open door.

"Come on, Samuel," I called over my shoulder, "no time to waste."

But as he tromped into the house behind me, I heard him mumble under his breath with a slight hint of amusement and awe, "Just like Eleven."

As we made our way through the house, somehow, Sam had managed to walk in front of me, much to my chagrin. I was a big girl, I could protect myself. After all, I was a reaper for crying out loud! Rolling my eyes at the indignity of it all, I obliged, letting him lead the way with his gun held high. Suddenly, there was a noise from the closet opposite us down the hall. I shared a glance with Sam as he slowly walked over to it.

What if this was Amara? What if we'd finally caught her? Could Sam and I take her down together? With purposeful steps, Sam stood still in front of the white shuttered doors then before yanking them open with his free hand. But it wasn't Amara looking back at us. Curled up on the floor, gagged and tied, was a small boy around 13 or so.

My eyes widened in shock as I couldn't help but utter, "Mike?!"

Sam shot me a confused glance but dismissed it as he helped the boy to a sitting position, "Hey, buddy. You all right? Give me a sec-"

But before Sam could finish his sentence, 'Mike' screamed through the rag in his mouth, gaining our attention as our gazes whipped around to see what he was looking at. With a grim expression on her face and a gun in her hand, the babysitter standing before us was clearly not the same. No, just by looking at the empty gaze reflected back at us, you could see it - she had no soul.

"Hi, Sam!" she faked a smile before it melted off her face, turning into an expression of disgust, "Bye, Sam!"

The gun in her hand discharged then, the bullet flying from the chamber only to embed itself into Sam's chest.