Chapter 2- His Majesty

Chapter 2

His Majesty

Another still birth. Another missed chance to have a living heir. Another heartbreak for my queen and myself. Another chance for treason. I didn't blame her. I never have. She does that enough for a kingdom. With each child lost, she is more and more distant and depressed. I longed to have my sweet Torah back.

I saw glimpses of her during this pregnancy. The longer she went with no miscarriage, the happier she was. I loved her with my whole heart. My whole being. I tried to put her off with words of an heir not being necessary. She knew I lied as well as I did.

The grasping husband of my wife, Duke Ethan, would love to see my beloved nephew on the throne. It would make him king, in effect. Especially if I died while the boy was still young. I drank from my cup until I could no longer hold my goblet. There were no bells rung for stillborn princes and princesses. There should be. For I loved them no less than I did the ones that would live. For I knew that one day, my queen would bear me a child. Or two even.

God had shown me in a dream when I slept that night. I was surrounded by three sons. One sat with me on the throne. The others were further away and stood with someone I could only assume was a lady to my wife. Or there Nurse maid. My wife stood behind myself and my son at my side, who had my hazel eyes and light skin. Her hands were on his shoulder.

Her gaze was cast upon the others. Who also had my eyes. I woke suddenly. Looking around for my wife and sons. That is how real the dream was. I didn't know what it meant. I did know that I would be a father. And that was all that mattered. That and the happiness of Torah, my queen.