Chapter 18-Betheny

Chapter 18

Betheny

"YOU PROMISED THAT YOU WOULD NOT SEND ME AWAY! YOU HAVE LIED!" I screamed at the king, beating on his chest as the tears streamed down my face.

"Yes. I did promise. But I am a king and may change my mind as I see fit." He tried to argue.

"I know that this is the queen's doing. Her jealousy has turned you against me. Now you rip me from my children as if I am nothing to them. Nothing to you." I cried.

"Your own behavior brought it about. Your hesitation to curtsy. Holding grand court and refusing the queen's invitations. What you have done could have seen you stripped of your new title and back to your father's farm."

"You wouldn't dare.." I narrowed my eyes and challenged him.

"This is a good marriage and steps above a life on a farm, disgraced. The Earl still wants to marry you. The same as he did before you came to my bed. He is titled and wealthy. Tell me, what is the downside?" he asked.

"Do you really not know it? He is not you." I told him, tears upon tears streaming.

"Bethy. You always knew that you could not be my wife. I have a wife and queen. I am sorry if my attentions led you to believe that I would put her away for you."

"Not for me. For the kingdom. Yes, we have our sons. Do you think that there won't be those, your own brother by law and sister, that would deny their claim and usurp the throne? Do what is right for us all!" I spat out at him, moving closer and gripping his shirt in my hands. I was begging him to choose me. Choose the life that would save us all.

"NO!" he screamed. I backed away startled. He had never yelled at me before this night.

"My apologies. But I have given my word. You will marry the Earl and be happy to do such." His tone let me know there was no more to be discussed.

"Might I take my children?" I begged him.

"You may not. You know the way. The dukes will stay here with me. Their father. The court will see my love for them and they shall be raised here to rule. You may visit them and on occasion they shall visit you. I'm sorry. This is the way of it."

With that, he left from my apartments and I fell to the ground, screaming. My babies. My boys. My love. It was all slipping away. I must find a way to get it back.