Chapter 14-Her Majesty

Chapter 14

Her Majesty

As my husband thought, his sister, Princess Yashida, had arrived and raved against her son being passed over for bastards with his mistress. She thought it the stupidest idea ever and said she only saw horrible things to come of it. She told us that she was prepared to have child put aside for legitimate children. But those without a name. Never.

We listened. I even agreed with her in private. Now that I saw the way Betheny was behaving, I knew that she would start all types of problems with the babes came. I would be proven right. We promised the princess that we would think of something to please her. She reluctantly agreed and then rode back to her lands.

We decided to betroth him to a rich princess who was the heir to her father's kingdom. There, he would be a king. That pleased them both.

It had been a month. The council had made it legitimate that Betheny's children would follow my husband to the throne. AFTER ours. The wording was very clear. There was no going back. The king had come to me that night.

"Can you not sleep?" I asked of him.

"I find I only sleep well with you." he said, removing his clothing and coming to bed with me. He began to kiss my back as I was facing away from him. Staring into the fireplace. My mind heavy.

"What do you fret over?" he asked.

"Things I do not care to discuss."

"You have always talked to me. Even when it was hard." he said, turning me to face him.

"It is true. I just do not want to be a burden. I would forget of it and just stay here, in your arms." I assured him.

"I do not like that you keep things from me now. It did not used to be so."

"You keep things from me. I know of them. I just hold my tongue." I admitted.

"I hold nothing from you." He tried to convince me.

"You still visit Betheny at night. Please, do not deny it. It would insult me. I know when you sneak from my bed. I wake and am here alone. I cry myself back to sleep. When I awake, you are back. I am no fool. I thought you knew that." I said to him, tears falling. "You love her. Admit it!" I was yelling now.

He sat up and looked away from me. Ashamed. He could not deny it and he knew it. We knew each other too well. To lie would not do.

"I told you. I begged you not to force this upon me or us. I never meant to love her. But it has happened. I have more than a care for her." He confessed.

"Yes. I know it is my fault. I have brought this on us. Now you seek to replace me with her.."

I sobbed loudly now. He turned to me and looked as if I began to speak in one of the few languages he did not know.

"Is that what you think. I told you, I would never leave you. Nor would I have you put away. I love her, it is true. What is also true is that it is nothing compared to my love for you. She could never compare. And will never have a need. I love you with my whole being. With her, if she lived elsewhere, I might well forget her if it were not for a child that we would raise here at court."

I had turned back to the fireplace as my tears continued to come. He tried to bring me back to face him. I fought it. I did not know if I could trust his words. I'm sure he felt that. He decided to show me in other ways. He kissed my shoulder, arm and elbow. When he reached my hand, he took it and began to kiss it over and over. He did the same to my bare back. Stopping in some places to suck it. leaving small red love bites.