Chapter 10- His Majesty

Chapter 10

His majesty

Four months later

I lie in bed with my wife and queen. She slept after much wine and lovemaking. I found that I could not. There was much on my mind. I would need to call a meeting with my council. The child in the belly of my lover was growing strong and well.

There was no concern from the midwife. They saw no reason that my son not be brought forth and live. My wife and I had begun visiting her together. Being seen with her amongst the court and in the gardens. We needed our people to know that she was not to be despised. She did only what we asked of her.

I also visited her when the queen was busy or resting. I knew that it went hard on my wife, but I found I was comforted now by Betheny as well. Their relationship had faltered a bit it seemed. My wife complained that Betheny was beginning to think herself a bit lofty.

I didn't see any evidence of this. I had never had any reason to doubt my wife. Though now, I wondered if it may be a bit of jealousy as Betheny was with child. And my wife, was not. She did not say it. Nor did she have to for me to know her mind. Every month, she waited. Everytime she bled, it was another disappointment. Though she was strong, she was mine and I knew her soul. I loved it about her.

I also felt my feelings grow for Betheny with each month that passed. This was my fear. That another woman may tempt me. How could I not love her? She was faithful to my wife and I. Possibly carrying the next heir to my kingdom. I was only human and a man after all.

I looked at my love. a gentle beauty resting. Naked and beautiful as the moon came in our window and shone down on her. I could not help but to kiss her. She stirred slightly but never woke. I crept from the bed like a thief. I put on my pantaloons and a shirt. Stuck my feet in my room shoes and headed to the apartment's of Betheny.

One guard accompanied me. The halls were empty except for the occasional servant rushing to and from on a late errand for their lord or lady. And the guards who patrolled inside and out. I found myself at Betheny's apartments. I entered and she was woke to my surprise.

"Majesty," she said as she stood from the chair she sat on and curtsied. Her lady that cared for her at all times in case she should have any complication did the same.

"Rise, my ladies. It is too late for formality."

I went to her and helped her to stand upright. She nodded her head sending her lady from the room.

"I did not expect you." she told me as I held her.

"Why are you wakeful? What keeps you up?"

"I would not burden the king with my troubles."

"You should have no troubles. If something is not well tell me. I will remedy it."

"I fear you cannot. Or you will not."

"Come.." I told her as I sat and brought her to my lap. It allowed me to rub her ever growing belly and see her as well. "Tell me. I command it." I told her.

"It is the queen. I fear she is angry with me. I can only think it is because of the child. Yet, I thought I did her bidding. I am confused and afraid."

"Afraid?"

"That she may send me away. When my child is born, what role do I have? The child is yours utterly. That of a king. I am not needed to raise a King's child. Less so if it is a boy." She began to sob as she spoke.

"Bethy. Do not be troubled. I would not send you away. You will be here to see the child grow. To love him and be a mother to him."

She exhaled deeply, her eyes closing with relief. She then relaxed and lay her head on me.

"Thank you, Jerrold. I cannot tell you the relief that gives me. I was sore afraid I would be parted from not only the child, but also from you." she confessed.

"Your fears were for naught. I find I like to have you near as well. Which is a problem. As I love the queen." I told her.

As do I. She is gracious and loving. I just think she may well resent me now. I try to keep myself from her. As not to anger her. Or force her to see me in such a state."

"She is stronger than you know. Believe me. I know her as no other."

"I miss this. Just you and I. I know you come when you can, lest she be suspicious."

I did not respond. I only brought her face to mine and kissed it. I missed her too. I loved my wife and the life I had with her. I would never put her away. But we were in too deep now. My feelings for Betheny would only continue to grow.

I must find her a match soon. It was to already be decided. I held it off as I found I did not like my thoughts to wander to her knowing anyone but me. I would not be able bear it. Perhaps in time. We spoke for a short time more before I left her.

When I arrived back to my wife's chambers. She had barely stirred. I undressed and slid in the bed beside her, wrapped my arms about her and snuggled my face in between her shoulder and ear. The space I am sure God made just for me. And slept.