Chapter 22-Her Majesty

Chapter 22

Her Majesty

"He lives. Look, my love." Jerry whispered into my ear. Our son in his arms. I was afraid to look. I thought I may have fallen asleep and dreamed that he lived. I heard his cry and opened my tightly clenched eyes and looked at my son. Our son. The heir of my husband and our lands.

He had my brown coloring but his father's nose, mouth and his hazel eyes. I cried uncontrollably as he placed him in my arms.

"He is here, my love. He is here." There were tears flowing from Jerrold as well. "You have done it. You have done so well. He is healthy. And hungry it seems. I removed my shift and held him to my breast. It is true that he had a wet nurse. But I would feed my one living son from my own breast. At least this first time.

"Jerry. Tell me that I do not dream this. Please." I begged of him.

"If it is a dream, then I sleep too. The physician says he is as healthy as any child. More so. You have done it. I knew that you would. I always knew it. We just needed patience." he said kissing me over and over.

What shall we call him?" I asked.

"Prince Jerrold Franklin. The Duke of Jericho and Earl of Sudden."

The king then stood and sent the heralds to announce him and sent word to ring the bells. There was finally a prince. A legitimate child of the king. The kingdom was saved. More than that, that ungrateful beast would now have to respect me as queen once again. I would have my prince securely protected. I was not as trusting of her as my husband was.

I knew now that I had made a mistake choosing someone to give my husband what I thought that I could not. I should have trusted God's timing.

We were here now. And I must act accordingly. But first, I must rest.

"Your majesty, here is wine for you." my lady, Jessina offered me.

"Thank you. I had forgotten how thirsty I was." I told her.

"Birthing a handsome prince is hard work. I shall be here to see that you drink and eat that you may regain your strength. For that child looks that he shall be a handful."

"That he does." I agreed with a smile.

I rested for days, yet I did not feel as though I was regaining my strength. It was quite the opposite. I could hold my child for small periods of time. It was almost as if I felt the energy fading from me.

My husband was worried. I could tell by his face. The mid-wife and physicians spoke in hushed tones around me. I rested and woke to find my husband utterly upset.

"If you seek to keep me from worry, you have failed miserably, my lord." I told him in a whisper.

He came to my side and began to kiss me over and over. Tears pouring from him.

"What is it? Is it Jerry?" I asked of the prince.

"No, my love. It is you. The doctor says he cannot stop your bleeding. He doesn't know where it comes from. But you have lost more than anyone can and live. I can't understand it. Why does God punish me? It is because I took another woman. Now he would take you from me? I have sinned and he seeks to see me suffer." He lamented.

"Shhhhh. My love." I told him, kissing his head and hands. If God means to call me home, I am content to go. Do you know why? Because I have given you a son. A prince and heir. Set about the others, forever. Be sure that is made clear. Even though they are older, he is their better. Protect him from any who would challenge that."

"I will. It is done. Will you promise to rally and never leave me?" he asked.

"I promise to try. I do. I love you. Tell my son that I love him more than my own life. And if I had to choose between the two, it would always be him." I had spent much energy speaking and sought to rest again. I closed my eyes and went on to rest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betheny

A coded letter came to me from the castle. I read it with a smile on my face and no guilt in my heart. There was nothing in my way of having all I wanted now.

My lady,

It is I, Jessina. I thank you for your herbal remedy of ginger, chamomile and parsley root. I added it to my tea and drank it three times a day. It certainly did all that you said it would. And here I stand. I cannot wait to see you back at court. A good friend is always depended upon and missed terribly.

The Queen's Plan (Pre-Order on Amazon) release date 2/19/19On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara