8

TURNING OVER A NEW leaf was hard when you had a literal demon by your side. Daichi had already somehow stolen three snacks before they even entered first period and she rolled her eyes at his excitement as he took a bite out of a chocolate bar.

"It's just high school, you know," she said.

"To you maybe," he replied easily," but I've never been to school before, so it's all new to me."

"Never?" she said with raised eyebrows.

"Comes with being an orphan living on the street," he shrugged, his happy smile never leaving his lips.

It was like he had just told her the weather instead of a revealing truth about him and she blinked in surprise. But she never had been one to pry, mainly because she never cared enough, but also because she was a closed off person and liked it that way.

She had seen enough paparazzi during her whole life to know the value of privacy.

"Hope you'll enjoy, then," she said, a nice statement that sounded uncomfortable out of her mouth.

"Thank you, gorgeous," he said," I'll certainly do my best."

They passed the teacher's desk then and a moment later he was throwing the apple that was on the desk before in the air, a wolfish grin on his face. Jasmina was about to roll her eyes when someone grabbed it out of the air, before taking a bite out of it.

A dangerous gleam flashed over Daichi's eyes as he turned his head towards the person who had stolen his food, before confusion overtook it instead.

In front of them was a tall, raven-haired girl, her lips painted a bright red and turned up in an amused smirk. She was stunning, ethereal even as she slowly moved towards them, each step making her golden bracelets tinkle, huge diamonds twinkling on her ear, priceless jewels resting on her collarbone. She hardened her grip on the apple, golden rings decorating her every finger, her long, scarlet nails piercing the red apple. There was something frightening about her, her hauntingly blue eyes seeming like those of a ghost who had risen out of the death - which Jasmina supposed she had.

"Avaritia," Daichi said.

"Greed?" Jasmina translated with raised eyebrows.

"Hello Gula," she smiled, before turning her attention towards Jasmina," and hello, human. I'm the second sin to join you, I see?"

"Do the rest just come at random or?" Jasmina said as she peeked over the girl's shoulder.

"When we're done with our current jobs," she said as she slowly tapped her fingers on her folded arms, her rings twinkling in the light, before glancing at Daichi," Gula however, he abandoned it all to immediately come play. I would say he's doing a bad job, but who am I to judge?"

"Okay, great entrance," Jasmina said with a dismissive wave of her hand," now go sit, the lesson's about to start and I'm trying to be good."

"What?" she blinked.

"And give me something else to call you than Avaritia," Jasmina said," pass the message on to the other sins, your Latin names are of no use to me."

"And why would I tell a mere human my name?" she said with raised eyebrows, her smile all but deadly.

Jasmina looked unimpressed as she stepped forward to her, dark locks spilling over her shoulders as she leaned forward.

"Because you once were one too."

"Do you have a death wish, human?" Avaritia said without skipping a beat, hand grasping a fistful of her hair.

Jasmina didn't flinch, instead slowly tipping one of the sin's earrings to the left with a finger, the diamond gleaming in the light.

And then she closed her hand around it and pulled it off her ear.

"It's Jasmina," she said, annoyance lacing her voice," and in case you didn't notice, I already died." Avaritia's lips parted in shock, but Jasmina continued with a smile as she waved at a chair, her other hand holding the diamond up. "Now sit, I'm going to call you Ari and we are going to be great friends, alright?"

"You are crazy," Ari said, eyes wide.

"Tell me something new," Jasmina said with an eyeroll.

Daichi laughed, eyes gleaming with mirth as he wiped a tear away, before slowly shaking his head.

"She sure is something, huh?" he said as he looked at Ari.

Ari stared at her with a mix of shock and confusion on her face, before both blended into her usual amusement again and she started laughing as well.

"For the love of Satan," she said with a wide grin," I believe we are going to be great friends, Jasmina. Now give me my earring back."

Jasmina complied, one of the many good deeds she was planning to commit today, before turning around and sitting down.

Daichi was sitting next to her, Ari in front of her beside a fawning guy who couldn't keep his eyes off her. She seemed like a piece of jewelry herself, golden and beautiful, her smile made out of rubies and broken hearts. Daichi however just reminded her of a predator as he looked around the classroom and slowly licked his lips.

"You can't eat any of the people here," she warned him.

"I don't eat people, gorgeous," he said offendedly, before adding with a devilish smirk," I devour them."

"Don't listen to him," Ari said with an eyeroll," he talks nonsense almost all of the time - at least, when he's not eating."

"You really want to go, Avaritia?" Daichi said, although there still was an amused smirk playing on his lips.

"As if you could take me," she scoffed.

"Stop fighting," Jasmina said with an eyeroll," what are you, children?"

"No, demons," Daichi grinned.

"Everyone, listen up," the teacher said as he turned towards them, before frowning," huh, I swear I had an apple here - well, whatever, but you all have three transfer students joining you."

"Three?" Jasmina said.

"I see two of them are already seated," the teacher commented, before turning towards the door," now, come on, don't be shy and join them."

A girl enters then, all long legs and arrogant eyes, chin tilted up as she comes to a halt beside him. Long, dark locks fall in waves around her, a purple, skintight shirt and matching jeans making her stand out amongst everyone who's wearing an uniform. Big hoops adorn her ears and an uninterested expression her face as she scans the crowd, before letting her gaze settle on them.

"There she is," Daichi said with raised eyebrows," our lovely Superbia."

"The biggest buzzkill of them all," Ari added.

"Hi," she drawled as she looked down at them all.

"Can you tell us your name, please?" the teacher said when she didn't elaborate.

"No," she said simply, before adding," I can say this - if any of you even dare to look at me in the wrong way, that'll be the last time you have eyes."

A radiating smile lit up her face then as her empty eyes looked straight at Jasmina.

"I'm here against my will and I won't hesitate to kill anyone, but nice to meet you."