42

"WHAT ARE YOU SMILING about?"

Jasmina glanced at Azriel, who was staring almost suspiciously at her from his balcony. She was still standing in his room, her hair pinned up loosely, locks framing her face and cascading down her back. She didn't answer his question, instead letting the dress she was currently wearing slide down, her back towards him as she stepped out of it. His sharp inhale was clearly audible, but when she told him to turn around he did, an amused smile on her face as she took her new dress in her hands.

"Who knew the devil listened so easily?" she drawled.

"I don't," he said," but I'm very used to people I'm close to not listening to my wishes in the past. I don't want our relationship to be the same."

A voice echoed through the room then, one she knew was from his thoughts, a ghost of a man running around. He was tall, with sunkissed skin and cropped hair, a certain seriousness in his face which told her he didn't smile often. A sword was strapped to his back between his wings, a majestic white with feathers dipped in silver and gold. Though he seemed untouchable, the sharp cut on her cheek told her otherwise, ichor dripping down his jaw, the same color as the blood on the tip of his spear. With a shake of his head he angled it towards Azriel, eyes as frosty as his words.

"I told you what happened if you defied Father," he said," why can you never listen, Azriel?"

He moved to throw it, but before he could do so an onyx knife pierced him, the memory disappearing into smoke. Azriel had thrown it without even looking, shaking his head in distaste at it all.

"Michael never knows how to leave me alone," he said.

"He seems fun," Jasmina said as she pulled her dress up.

The fabric felt like warm sunlight on her skin, nothing heavy about the dress despite the multiple diamonds which made up the corset. Though there was no zipper or size, it fit perfectly, like it was made specifically for her. Another perk of magic, she supposed. In the mirror she caught a glimpse of herself and a smile started playing on her lips.

"You can turn around now."

He complied with a dramatic bow, but once he raised his head and spotted her he froze in place. His eyes slowly wandered over her, taking it all in; the silver on her bronze skin, the diamonds interlaced tightly around her, the glittering jewelry, before settling on her face. Once it did he flashed her a charming smirk, before reaching out a hand to her.

"You look mesmerizing, my queen," he smiled," even mortal you'll outshine anyone for sure."

She slowly walked towards him, taking his hand, eyes flicking upwards to the cloudy sky.

"I don't just want to outshine them," she said," I want to intimidate them." The taste of power was already sharp on her tongue, one reminiscent of peach liquor and fool's gold. "And I will."

Azriel grinned, before raising her hand to his lips, not breaking eye contact as he pressed a kiss on it.

"Off we are then," he said.

He lifted her up in a fluid movement and jumped off his balcony. They soared down, the wind tugging at her hair, and she was already about to complain when his wings unfolded. Ash glittered around them, raining from the scorched black feathers and carrying the scent of fire. Azriel's smile became less human then as he pushed himself off mid-air and they caught flight.

Saints (SAINTS #1) | ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें