51

THE MANSION WAS ALL gold and silver, with a champagne fountain and wall paintings reminiscent of the Renaissance. The ballroom they had entered was large, but there were so many people it was almost filled to the brim anyway. Jasmina walked down the main stairway, her hand resting daintily on Alan's arm. The sins were supposed to arrive later, but she quickly noticed five of them in the middle of the room, giggling as they sipped from their flutes and refilled them from the fountain.

She wasn't even surprised that they were drunk already, just that most of them were together without even having broken something already. Alan noticed her gaze wandering off, but didn't say anything. He hadn't spoken at all the whole time in the limo together, eyes glued on his fidgeting hands. It was easy to guess that he wasn't looking forward to the confrontation with his father, but she knew nothing she said would reassure him.

"You look beautiful by the way," Alan murmured to her then, interrupting her thoughts.

She offered him a smile, knowing full well he was right. Azriel had chosen a gorgeous dress for her, with a rich bordeaux corset and tule skirt, the warm colors suiting her sunkissed skin. Her off shoulder sleeves were made of diamonds, matching with the ones dangling from her ear and glistening on her neck. The outfit was more expensive than her tuition for Gaia and that said enough on it's own - she looked good enough to ruin someone's life today.

"You clean up well too, Alan," she said, voice sweet as her calculating eyes focused on the people surrounding her," the suit fits you."

Alan quickly glanced down at his navy blue suit, looking back at her with a faint blush on his cheeks.

"It's not like you to be shy now," she said, her charming smile not leaving her lips.

She could say a lot about Alan, but at least he knew her well enough to catch her hints. Act natural, she had meant, and he did, immediately mirroring her expression as he looked around. Her parents weren't here yet, but they never arrived early. They had taught her the same as well, but it had been necessary for her plan, so she had broken that rule for once. Still, she didn't bother looking for Alan's father, knowing full well she wouldn't need to.

Sure enough, she and Alan had been walking around and greeting a few people for only five minutes when he appeared, his glass already empty and eyes wide.

"Jasmina?" he stammered," what are you doing with my son?" He glanced at Alan, a frown on his face. "You didn't tell me about this, Alan."

"It happened so suddenly," Jasmina replied happily before Alan had to," we didn't have the time."

"I thought you were done with him forever?" Yves blinked.

"You know I couldn't stay away from your son for long," Jasmina chuckled, resting her hand on Alan's chest," especially when he showed up at my house and made such a grand gesture."

She hugged Alan then, shielding his face from Yves' view as she whispered in his ear. "We're engaged now, by the way."

"Wh -" he began, but she placed her fingers on his lips, pecking the back of her hand to feign a kiss.

"He proposed!" Jasmina exclaimed as she pulled away, eyes filled with warmth.

"I had to," Alan laughed, a bit awkward.

Yves' gaze flashed between the two of them in disbelief, before joy flashed across his face.

"O my God," he said," I never expected this to happen, but I'm so glad it did!" He slapped Alan on the shoulder, ignoring how his son winced ever so slightly at his touch. "I'm proud of you, Alan, you made the right choice."