48

THOUGH AZRIEL WAS SMILING, there was no humor in his face. On the contrary, he actually looked far angrier than he would have with a calm expression, his red eyes the only thing betraying his fury. Alan seemed confused as he looked up, blinking as he tried to pull himself up. He immediately failed, too dizzy to put any strength in it as he sloped back down against the wall.

As Alan tried to blink the stars in front of his vision away, Azriel turned towards Jasmina, gaze flickering a soft pink.

"Are you alright?" he asked, a hand on her cheek as he inspected her.

"I'm fine," she drawled.

He shook his head, his irritation visible in the way his jaw tensed. "I should have come sooner. Normally I wouldn't have missed you being in danger like this, I feel stupid."

She knew he normally wouldn't have, but she also knew his workload had tripled without the sins. When she had asked for the favor he hadn't mentioned it, but it was easy to notice by the dark shadows under his eyes and the stacks of papers that had been on his desk. While sorting them she hadn't missed the ones meant for the sins but sent to him instead, but seeing as he hadn't mentioned it to her she supposed he didn't want her to know. In the brief time she had known him it had been easy to spot that he didn't want to be seen as a good person, so she wouldn't pull off his horns anytime soon.

"You think I can't handle myself, Az?" she said.

"I know you can, my queen," he said, slowly rubbing his thumb across her bottom lip, as if to remove any sign of Alan's kiss. "That doesn't mean I don't want to be there for you when needed though." His gaze darkened as it wandered towards Alan, her ex-boyfriend finally seeming to come back to his senses. "Especially considering our promise. I remember promising to end anyone who kissed you myself."

"Queen?" Alan frowned, able to pull himself up succesfully this time," what's going on, Jasmina?"

"What do you think?" Jasmina said, more because she was too lazy to think of an excuse than anything else.

Alan's eyes flicked from her to Azriel, even the shadows not able to conceal how ethereal her husband-to-be looked. It wasn't surprising, considering he wasn't of this world anyway, but it caused Alan to stare confusedly at him just a moment too long. After snapping out of it he finally spoke, a slightly horrified tone tinging his voice.

"Is this some sort of BDSM relationship?" he said slowly," I always knew you were a bit of a sadist, but I never had expected this - I mean, hell, where did you even find this guy?"

Azriel blinked in surprise, a loud laugh tumbling down his lips after, but Jasmina just rolled her eyes.

"You kind of answered your own question," she replied.

"I never expected to be classified as the masochist," Azriel remarked amusedly.

"I guess that's a sign that you have to step up your torture game, Satan," she said.

"Don't call me Satan," Azriel frowned," different guy."

"You're actually all the same guys but in different fonts," she shrugged.

Azriel's lips parted, an offended look flashing across his face. "I will have you know that all the other gods of hell wish they were me. I'm the prototype."

"You know that I don't settle for anything but the best," she drawled.

The chuckle that left his lips died out as soon as he looked back at Alan, anger flaming up again in his eyes. On cue the crackling of fire started around them and she stepped on a paper catching fire underneath her, letting it die out immediately. With a hand on his cheek she calmed him down, the tenseness flowing a bit out of him. Alan just seemed taken aback by it all, as if he wasn't sure what he was seeing.