41

THOUGH SHE WASN'T SURE what to expect from Vox Dei, it didn't matter. She had grown up in business meetings with powerful people, so this was just a little step up from that. Sure, she was apparently going to meet the archangels, but the only difference really was their wings. To be honest, she wasn't even sure she could take them seriously if they had them out. Azriel's reminded her of ashes, but theirs would most likely just remind her of doves.

A loud laugh interrupted her and she turned her head towards Azriel, who was sprawled out on his bed. She had been flicking through the stacks of paperwork on his desk and he had been watching her as she read through the things she deemed important. If there was anything important she could take with her tomorrow it was knowledge after all, her tongue already sharpened enough on diamonds and glass.

"What is it?" she said, tilting her head as she watched him.

"You compared my brother to doves," he chuckled, laughter still tumbling down his lips.

"Are you reading my thoughts?" she said.

At that he gave her an almost guilty smile and she raised an eyebrow. After pushing himself up in a seating position he shook his head, waving at the room around them.

"I didn't mean to," he said," it's just this room. There's usually no one here but me, so I put magic on it to let my thoughts echo off the walls. It makes me less chaotic." He beckoned for her to come closer, looking almost boyish with his messy hair and unbuttoned blouse. "Come here, I'll show you."

"Come to me," she said, leaning against the wall.

He moved towards her without hesitation, tucking a lock behind her ear. As soon as his skin grazed hers the world around them seemed to come alive with sounds, bouncing off the walls and flying off with the breeze. She could hear herself, the way she processed the information and dynamic of the gods she had just read about, and then him. Where her thoughts were a structural line, his were a chaos, tangled in each other and falling everywhere.

"I wonder if he will show up this time," he said, but when she looked at him his lips hadn't moved. One glance up proved it was a thought instead, the words dancing in cursive around his head. "I hope he doesn't."

It was easy to guess who he was talking about, but she didn't say anything about it, instead staring him in the eyes.

"You're not going to complain about me hearing your thoughts?" he said," I can switch it off if you like."

Normally she would have told him to do so, but they were growing closer. Although she wasn't one to open up to people, they were going to spend an eternity together. Besides, from what she was hearing, the vulnerability seemed to come more from him than her.

"Are you surprised?" he smirked," that I'm so in touch with my feelings."

"Are you now?" she drawled.

"Only to you," he said," because we're bound by a contract, because I know you won't leave me."

Because you make eternity a sight to look forward to, his thought sung in her ear.

"I normally hate Vox Dei," he said," but I actually think it'll be fun with you there."

"About that," she said," send me home."

He frowned, pulling his hand back. "Don't tell me you're worried? I'll protect you from my brothers, always."

"I don't think Michael the archangel is planning to be the cause of my third death," Jasmina said," I just need to go dress shopping. Gucci sounds good for a gathering in the clouds."