Chapter eleven

Will pov (continues from last chapter)

"It's sensible for you to be terrified of the thought." Riley told the statues. "The reason you're alive is because you listened when i told you to be careful. You came home in time, made no mistakes. You let the fear make you smart and careful. I'm not expecting you to just let go of that fear. I don't expect you to rush outside just because i say so. But..." He looked around the room. "I expect you to follow me out."

His eyes went to our corner for a second. "Look at me. Listen to me. Trust me. When you see that I'm unharmed, trust your eyes. The sun will have an unexpected effect on your skin just today, you will see soon. It won't harm you in anyway. I would never put you in harms way for no reason, you know that."

He started going up the stairs.

"Riley, Can't we wait.." Kristie started.

"Just look closely," Riley interrupted her. "This gives us a huge advantage. The yellow eyes knows about this day, but they don't know that we know." While he was talking he had opened the door, and gone into the kitchen.

Everyone except Bree tried to get as far away from the door as possible. Is he crazy?

By now it's only the top of my head sticking up from behind the couch. Riley's voice moved towards the door. "Most young vampires need time to accept this - for good reasons. The ones who isn't careful with sunlight won't make it for long."

A nearly inaudible whisper from Bree made me relax a little. "It's okay, the sun won't hurt us."

"Okay everyone," Riley opened the door. "I'm going out now. There's no need to be scared today. I promise." Light flooded down the basement door. Hisses and growls were heard as the others hid in the corners of the room. I sunk down behind the couch as panic set in.

A small hand trying to get my attention makes me look up. Bree is giving me a soft smile and looks encouraging as i slowly stand up.

"Relax," Riley shouted to us. "I feel fine. It doesn't hurt and it doesn't burn. Come up!"

Bree helped Fred relax before turning towards the door again.

"You know what." Riley said from upstairs. "It's going to be fun to see who is the bravest. I think i can guess, but I've been wrong before."

I roll my eyes. Of course his little manipulation worked and Raoul and two of his minions moved towards the door.

"You hear me. You know I'm not dead. Don't be so childish! You're vampires, act like it."

Raoul and the other two stopped at the foot of the stairs. Riley came back in. "Look at me - I'm fine! Seriously. I'm ashamed of you. Come here, Raoul!" Riley quickly grabbed Kevin , Raoul backed of as soon as he realized what he was going to do, and dragged him up the stairs. Soon Kevin was laughing.

"Tell them, Kevin." Riley ordered.

"It's fine, Raoul." Kevin called out to him. "Shit! I'm all.... Blank. This is amazing!"

"Good job, Kevin." Riley said with a loud voice.

That was it for Raoul and he walked outside slowly. Once he got out, he too started laughing. Curiosity grew as the spider-man guy went out too. Taking a shot, i go next and almost run out. The discoball effect is immediate and my eyes widen. I laugh and twirl around. Riley looks encouraging at me. "Bree, Fred, come on up." I call down to the basement.

They come up after a few others and i happily twirl around with Bree. She looks surprised as we stop beside Fred. Fred studies himself and us before looking at the others.

Riley gathers everyone for a last training session. The closer we get to battle the more grim everyone looks.

The prospect of battle, ripping others apart, being encouraged to do it is like preparing to hunt for most.

I move slowly to the woods without being seen. After a few hundred meters i can run. It takes me a while to look for Diego but i do find him. He looks a lot better than he did a few days ago. He looks surprised to see me. "Will?"

I nod. "We're about to attack. You need to follow behind us. I'm going to try and get Bree out of the group before we reach the battle." I explain quickly before i needed to go back.

The others had already started running when the others get back, making me in the last group. I can't see Fred anywhere but Bree is further ahead. It took less then five minutes for everything to change.

Raoul caught the scent first, soon the others had too. With furious growls they went even faster. The bloodthirst made everyone one crazy and if it wasn't for the need to look after Bree i would have been closer to the front of the group.

Fighting against the thirst is one of the hardest things i have ever done, growling i hold myself back. Riley wasn't kidding when he said the girl smelled heavenly.

Kristie regains her senses long enough to realize she's supposed to move strategically. She barks out orders. "This way! Faster! We'll reach her first! Come on!" Kristie's group had already started turning against each other and i feel relieved as Bree stays with Raoul's group.

"Raoul!" Riley roars at him. The thirst is making it hard to stay concentrated.
"I have to help Kristie! I'll see you at the front! Don't loose focus!"

Bree stopped. I jumped up in a tree and stayed as still as possible. Riley had a surprised look when he saw Bree just standing there. "Bree, i thought you were with Kristie."

She didn't answer.

"I heard that someone got hurt. Kristie needs me more that Raoul." He explained quickly.

"Are you... leaving us?"

His expression changed into a fake worried one.
"I'm worried, Bree. I told you that she was going to meat us, but i haven't found her trail yet. I have to find her."

Bree had an unsure look.
"You'll never be able to find her before we find the yellow eyes."

"I have to find out what's going on." He sounded desperate. "I need her. I wasn't supposed to do this alone!"

"But the others..."

"Bree, i have to find her! Now! There is enough of you to defeat the yellow eyes. I'll find you as soon as i can."

Bree didn't look sure.

"Diego is down there. He's going to participate in the first attack. Couldn't you smell him earlier?"

I have never wanted to kill someone so badly. How dare he? After their talk he went off in another direction and Bree ran off before i could talk to her. I grit my teeth and continue on, swearing to myself as i realize i lost her.

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)