Chapter twenty-four

Will pov

We blended into the night as we reached a bigger city. We stopped on the roof of a house as we were in the outskirts and in a sketchy area. I take my hood of. "Are you going to hunt too?" Caius thought it over before shaking his head. "No, I'm good."

Time skip

After feeding we started walking back the same way we came. "Can you tell me more about Sulpicia and Antheodora?"

He looked a little surprised at the question but nodded. "Shortly after i was turned Aro met Sulpicia. We knew our actual mate wasn't born yet and even if we had each other and the beginning of the guard it was lonely. So he courted her and they fell in love." A small pang of jealousy went through me. "They got married and lived together for almost fifty years. I envied their relationship, i felt lonely. During those fifty years Marcus also met someone. So i went out on a walk and i met Antheodora. She was the daughter of a noble, we took a liking to each other and i brought her back to Volterra where we found out she was actually the mate of Sulpicia. Even if it broke our hearts we felt happy for them. They became good friends with the woman Marcus met. Her name was Didyme."

His demeanor changed to a more sad one. "We did a lot to build up the Volturi and the vampire world as it is today. The first thing we had to do was take down the Romanian coven. They were very open about our existence, humans were fearful and angry with them. We had to do something, we did try a peaceful approach first, when that didn't work we went to war with them.

We won of course and only two of them were left. Stefan and Vladimir. They have hated us since and they killed Didyme. It crushed Marcus and he barely spoke until we found you."

I feel a little conflicted about them having been married but at the same time i feel sad for them. Loosing someone you love can't be easy, but at least Aro and Caius can still meet them. We walk quietly for a few minutes.
Soon the warmth of sunlight reminded us that we needed to put our hoods back on.

"Where are the Romanians now?"

He grimaced. "We don't actually know. They went off our radar a few years ago and we haven't seen them since." We reached some trees while walking. "What will you do if they try to get revenge?" He sighs. "I don't know, i guess it depends on the circumstances."

When we reached Volterra again the sun had been up for some time. Caius led me through the town. No one looked surprised to see us at all and we reached the castle again.

The guard standing by the doors we entered through bowed before returning to where he stood. We walked through some corridors until we reached one i recognized.

"We're close to the throne room." I state.

"Yeah, but we're going to another room." Right as he said that we stopped outside a door. It was a dark oak door and when we went through it it was walls and walls of books. My jaw drops. "Wow..."

Caius gives a small amused smile. "This is our private library, only the kings are allowed in here, and now the queen."

Third pov

Caius looked amused as his mate looked around the library. Her eyes shone with happiness as she read the names of the books. "I have a few things to attend to. Will you be fine here?" She nodded and smiled. "I'll be fine here." He slipped out of the room and went to take care of some paperwork.

Time skip

Marcus entered the private library, a slightly surprised look spreading over his face when he saw his mate curled up in a chair reading a book. He felt amused when he saw it was Dracula. She was still wearing her cloak, likely having forgotten she was wearing it. She looked so peaceful that he almost felt bad as he announced his presence.

Her head snapped up, newborn instincts telling her that the newcomer might be dangerous, before she smiled. "Hi Marcus."

Marcus motioned to the chair beside her. "Can i sit down?" She nodded and he sat down. "Did Caius show you the library?"

She nodded again. "Yeah." She put the book down. "I don't think we have been properly introduced yet," She started. "Or well, i haven't actually introduced myself. My name is Will." She smiled.

Marcus smiled back. "How are you finding yourself here?"

She played with her necklace. "I like it here, and everyone is nice.." She trailed off. "That's good. Do you have any questions?" She thought a little. "I know that you guys are the kings. I don't know much about what you do, but what is expected of me?"

"You don't have to worry about what others expect from you. Do what you feel is right and if you're not sure then you can always turn to us. You'll come to learn in time, we're your mates, we will always be there for you. We might not be understanding at all times and we will be protective, we are old, times aren't what they were when we were humans. But we will always listen to you. And when it comes to being queen, i want you to remember that you have just as much power as we do." Marcus noted the calm that seemed to settle in with her. "I saw that you were reading. May i suggest a few books?"

Will and Marcus is finally spending some time together :). Please vote and tell me what you think in the comments, i love to hear from you guys :)