Arcane Publishing Co.

(Edited)

Magnus POV:

Yawning, I pushed open the door, cup of coffee in hand. Instantly, I was greeted with the sounds and chatter of the office I had to work at. It wasn't bad, I suppose, but I'd much rather be an author myself, rather than publish for others.

"How's that pen order going?" I leaned over the front of the reception desk, grabbing a mint from the communal candy bowl. Alex's eyes flicked over to me, almost instantly focusing back on the computer screen.

"Ah, fine. I decided to switch to gel pens. This job is actually boring enough that I had to time to research pens and their benefits and which ones are more efficient, and yeah, I need something to happen." Her mismatched eyes looked at me hopefully, and I knew exactly what to do.

Grinning, I leaned back away from the desk. "Give me five minutes." Alex shook her head, a small smile on her face.

"What did I get myself into?"

I found my way to my desk nearby, plopping down. Casually checking my email, I glanced over at TJ. He had a weird obsession with a small Civil War bobble head that he kept on his desk. I could work with that. After he left a few minutes later, I quickly grabbed the bobble head, tucking it in the top drawer of my desk.

Alex gave me a strange look, but continued watching. A few moments later, TJ returned, continuing to work. That is, until he noticed the missing memorabilia. "Hey, Magnus?"

"Hm?" I said disinterestedly, pretending to be doing something other than playing solitaire. 

He looked around his desk, checking his drawers. "Uh, that bobble head, the Abraham Lincoln one? I can't find it." I looked up, feigning innocence.

"I dunno, haven't seen it." With a huff, TJ stood up to check in front of the desk. Quickly, I pulled out the bobble head, placing it in it's usual position. He came back around, seeing the bobble head returned.

"Oh, sorry, it was on my desk the whole time. I need to get my eyes eyes checked." I hummed, smiling when I saw Alex stifling a giggle. "I'm going to run to the kitchen, need anything?"

I restrained a grin, knowing exactly how this would play out. "I'm good, thanks." After he was safely in the kitchen, I snatched the bobble head once again. He returned a moment later, frowning.

"What in the-? Where'd it go?"

"Where'd what go?"

"Abraham Lincoln!"

Googling something on my computer, I responded, "Well, it says here that Lincoln's burial site is in Springfield, Illinois."

"You know that's not what I meant!" I shrugged, turning to Alex.

"I haven't seen it, have you, Alex?"

Throwing on a confused face, she said, "No idea." TJ frowned, looking under the desk. Lighting fast, I placed the bobbled head back. Alex was full on smiling now, averting her gaze away from the desk clump.

TJ popped back up, seeing the figurine. "Okay, what?! What's going on?! You know what, I bet it's Malorie! She's always been jealous!"

"Of an Abraham Lincoln toy?"

"It's a collector's item!" I forced down a laugh as he stormed to the other side of the office.

——

People were staring to leave now, packing up from the day. TJ hadn't loosened up yet, duct taping his stuff to the his desk. To each his own, I guess. Maybe I'll super glue his stuff down next time.

Once mostly everyone had cleared out, I stayed by reception, waiting for Alex. We walked out together, chatting about future ways to screw with TJ. Once outside though, before we went out separate ways, I asked Alex, "Hey, uh. Would you maybe like to go out to dinner tonight? Or not tonight? Or, uhm-"

She cut me off, placing a hand on my arm. "I'd love to, Maggie." Alex placed a small kiss on my cheek, continuing the walk to her car, leaving me a blushing mess in the parking lot.

(672 words)