Chapter 4

Back in New Orleans, Tina sits in her room, waiting for Shane and Charlene to return from Paris. She holds a green cloth in her hands as she whistles a tune. Suddenly, she hears a knock on her door. "Come in!" she says. The door opens as Tina's father, Prince Naveen walks in. "Ah, waiting on your friends, huh?" he says. "Uh, yeah. They've been away longer than they said they'd be. I'm starting to worry," says Tina. Naveen chuckles and sits next to Tina. "Well, don't worry. I'll keep you company until they get back," he assures. Tina smiles and rests her head on Naveen's shoulder. "Dad?" she asks. Naveen looks at Tina. "You don't have a problem with Shane, do you?" Naveen scoffs. "A problem with Shane? Of course not! Why do you ask?" "Because he's the son of Dr. Facilier. The Shadow Man? The same man that-" Naveen interrupts. "Turned me into a frog? Which led to your mother turning into a frog? Taking us on an adventure to turn ourselves normal again, which was very dangerous and could've gotten us both killed? Yes, Tina. I know. But that was Dr. Facilier, not Shane. And besides. If that hadn't happened, I would never have met your mother, and you wouldn't be here. I see the potential to be good in everyone," he says. Tina smiles again. "Thanks, Dad."

Just then, a large mask with sharp teeth and horns appears in front of Naveen and Tina. "Ah, what a coincidence!" says Naveen. The mask's mouth opens, revealing Shane and Charlene standing inside it. "TINA!" shouts Charlene as she runs towards her. Charlene and Tina share a tight hug while Shane makes eye contact with Naveen. "Uh, I'll see myself out," he says. "Oh, no! No, Shane! Please! You can stay!" says Naveen. Shane's face lights up with joy. "Really?" "Of course! I know Tiana has her doubts about you, but I trust you whole-heartedly. In fact, with Tina's help, I've made a little peace treaty for you!" says Naveen. Tina groans and bows her head. "Ugh. Dad, you said you wouldn't use that pun," she says. "Should've made me promise!" says Naveen in a sing-song voice.

"Well, I'd love to stay and indulge in the possibly amazing treat you've got for me, but I need to go, uh, check up on something," says Shane. "Aww! But we had so much planned for tonight, Shane!" whines Charlene. "Terribly sorry, Charlene. Unforeseen circumstances have seemed to put a major dent in our plans," says Shane. Charlene hugs Shane and whispers in his ear. "Something to do with Clara? Or maybe your father?" she asks. "Definitely. Something's going on with the Frollo's. Even Claytin's worried about the situation. But I think I know someone who can help. I'll head over to my dad's shop, see if I can find anything that'll help me speak with the dead. Particularly Clara's mother. I know Judge Frollo's planning something, and he's messing with Clara's mind. I gotta get to the bottom of this," says Shane. Charlene kisses Shane on the mouth. "For good luck," she says. Shane smiles and walks back into the mask's mouth. As its mouth closes, Shane waves goodbye to Naveen, Tina, and Charlene. "Shane's a good young man, but that mask still gives me the creeps. Those teeth," says Naveen. He shudders.

Shane appears in front of his father's shop and sighs. "I promised myself that I'd never enter this nightmarish place," he says to himself. "But I need answers, and I need them now." Shane puts on his skull mask and enters the shop. As he walks slowly through the shop, Shane sees all of his father's instruments of voodoo, hoodoo, and things he ain't even tried, until he eventually reaches a room filled with the masks that represent Dr. Facilier's Friends on the Other Side. "Why, Dad? Why did you insist on bringing the name of voodoo even further down?" says Shane. Shane notices a table in a green spotlight. "This must be where it happened," he says. He slowly approaches the table, holding his cane tightly. A faint sinister laugh echoes through the building as he gets closer to the table. Shane touches the table, and a rush of evil voodoo energy surges through him. "What the-? What's going on?! What is this feeling?!" says Shane.

Dr. Facilier's voice echoes in Shane's head, "Are you ready?" Shane groans in pain as the energy gets stronger and stronger. "Don't fight it, Shane. Embrace it. It's the only way you can communicate with me face-to-face," says Dr. Facilier. "I'm not here for you, Dad. I just need a little something from you," says Shane. "I know, I know. You wanna talk to the dead. I can give you that ability, but it's gonna cost you." Shane continues to resist the energy. "What do you want?" says Shane through gritted teeth. "Simple. Do you have what you promised? The strand of Clara's hair?" Shane nods his head. "Got it off of her back in Paris while we were on the run from Judge Frollo's guards." He holds up a strand of Clara's hair, which starts to float out of his hand. "Good boy, Shane. You should listen to your friend. It's great to be a villain." Shane chuckles and smirks. "As if. I've got so much going for me from being good. Why would I ever throw that away just to be bad?" he says.

Shane slowly rises as the energy surging through him becomes weaker and weaker. "There. You got what you asked for. Now, hold up your end of the bargain," Shane asserts. "Ah, ah, ah! Hold your horses, son," says Facilier. "After this little card trick. Look at the table. The cards. The cards. The cards will tell." "The past, the present, and the future, as well," says Shane, finishing the rhyme. "The cards. The cards. Just take three," Facilier continues. "Ugh, enough, Dad! Stop messing with me!" Shane yells. "Not how it goes, but alright. First, the past. You never knew me, Your mother kept you away from me all your life. At the request of a particular woman. Which brings us to the present. You want the ability to commune with the dead so you can talk to Clara's mother, who was a good friend of your mother. Now, onto the future. Ooh, it ain't pretty. Looks like you're gonna be betrayed and lose a friend. I'd be careful if I were you. Farewell," says Facilier. Shane immediately pulls away from the table, breathing heavily. "Betrayal?" he whispers. He storms out of the shop, haunted by the idea of being betrayed.