Chapter 22

New Orleans. Midnight. The newly-dubbed Heroes of New Orleans are having their first official meeting. "So Clara made some deal with a group of Villian Kids that she used to hang out with?" Tiana asks Shane. "Yeah, but we shouldn't have to worry. She's gonna make sure that nothing bad happens," he answers. "Then why are we having this meeting in the first place?" asks Naveen. "Because it's Clara. And I have suspicions. What if something goes wrong? What if something does go wrong, and I'm not there to help?" Shane answers. Charlene rests her head on his shoulder. "Shane, please don't stress yourself out over this. If something does happen, you'd know, right?" she says. "Yeah, I guess," says Shane. He glances down at the hand with the mark on it. "But back in France, Clara said that the deal saved Char and me from... something. I bet that's why he's so worried," says Tina. "Well, it's a good thing for you that she made the deal, but if Shane's so worried about it, we should do something about it," says Tiana. "But that's the thing. We can't," says Shane, standing up. "We cannot go over to France to help her. Ugh, this is so stressful!" Charlene gets up and grabs Shane's hands. "Darling, relax. Don't you trust Clara?" she asks. "Of course, I do. It's everyone else that I don't trust. Frollo, Dawn, Anna, Garrett, Markus, they're all trouble. And I am positive that they're all in cahoots with each other. This... this is all too conspicuous." He suddenly feels a piercing pain in his palm. He looks down and sees a scar that wasn't there before. "I-I-I need to go," he says, walking out the door. "Shane!" shouts Charlene, following him.

   Charlene looks around outside of Tiana's Place for Shane, but he's nowhere to be found. "He must be at my place. I sure hope he's okay," she says. She runs towards her house and knocks on the front door. "Looking for me, Char?" Shane asks. He's sitting in a chair on the balcony above the door. "Shane, why's the door locked?" asks Charlene. "Because it's not time for you to come in yet," Shane answers. The door unlocks. "Now it's time," says Shane with a smile on his face. Shane hops down from the balcony and lands in front of Charlene. "Why so secretive, Shane? It's nowhere near my birthday, y' know," she says. Shane opens the door, revealing a bunch of pink ribbons and balloons. Charlene chuckles. "What's this for? I didn't do anything good recently, did I?" she asks. Big Daddy walks in, holding a blindfolded woman's hand. "Oh! Big Daddy, what's with the blindfold?" asks the woman. "Uh, Big Daddy, who's that?" asks Charlene. "Seriously, Char? You forgot?" Shane asks. "Forgot what?" asks Charlene. "Do it, Eli," says Shane. "Ready, honey?" Big Daddy asks the blindfolded woman. "I would be if I knew what to look forward to," the woman replies. "Big Daddy chuckles as he removes the blindfold. Charlene and the woman stare at each other in awe. "Char, in case you haven't noticed, that's your mom," says Shane. "Charlene?" "Mama?"

   Charlene and Lottie run-up to each other and give each other a big hug. "Oh! Look at you! All grown up! How old are you, hon?" asks Lottie. "Eighteen! The big one-eight! How could I have forgotten that you'd be coming back?!" Charlene squeals. "Hey, it was his idea!" says Lottie, pointing at Shane. "Who is he, by the way?" Charlene smiles at Shane, then immediately looks at Lottie without a smile. "Uh, promise not to get mad?" she asks. "Promise," Lottie assures. Charlene takes a deep breath and says, "That's my boyfriend, Shane Facilier, son of the Shadow Man." Lottie looks at Shane closely. "Y'know, now that you mention it, he does look kinda like him," she says. "But why would I be mad?" Lottie walks over to Shane. "He already told me what he's been doing around here. Plus, he's the reason I got to see my not-so-little girl again! If you're worried that I'd be mad at you for dating a Villain Kid, don't be! He's a sweetheart, and you two are perfect for each other!" Charlene smiles from ear to ear. "Uh, Mama? Wanna see what I've been working on? It's up in my room," she says. "Sure thing! We have a lot of catching up to do," Lottie answers. For the first time in a long time, everything feels great.

After a good night's sleep, Shane is the first to wake up. He fell asleep in Charlene's room after the party last night. He kisses Charlene on her forehead. "Sweet dreams, darling. Don't worry about me too much," he says. He looks at the scar on his palm, grabs his cane, and makes his way to France.