Chapter 14

"So, Frollo, tell me why you were so rough on Clara growing up," says the voice of Facilier. "That girl has always had some of her mother in her. It took me years to remove as much as I did. Your son is the only reason she even has a small piece of her mother." Frollo replied, his voice cold at the thought of Roma. Facilier and Frollo stand in the church side by side. "Her mother? I had no idea she existed," says Facilier. "Then again, I've been living in New Orleans for as long as I can remember." "Her mother died 13 years ago when Clara was five. It was because of her mother's death, I came back. Though, I can't say I was surprised that it happened how it did," Frollo said, an evil smug tone to his voice. Facilier grins. "I assume a sacrifice?" he asks. "Of course. I would have done it myself but of course couldn't. I had someone else do it for me. I wasn't originally going to sacrifice Roma but she gave me no choice when she decided to try to raise Clara as what she was before." Frollo explained. "You don't mind explaining, do you? I could use some sort of entertainment while we wait," says Facilier. "I wouldn't have answered if it bothered me. As long as Clara stays unaware of what her mother was and what happened to her, she is easy to manipulate. I doubt she has dropped her want to be a villain even after she ran off. She will soon learn that she has much more to learn and she will return. The only thing stopping her is your son. Clara is weak and can't take care of herself. She depends on others even if she doesn't realize it. It was quite easy to convince her to pledge herself to the church, but it seems, just as easy, if not a little harder for your son to convince her otherwise." Frollo said. Facilier grumbles. "Shane does have a way of convincing people. He gets that from me. I wish I was able to convince him to be evil, but he's just too stubborn!" "Luckily, I have gotten into Clara's head enough, your son still can't convince her to be good. But as soon as I get my hands on her again, I think I have a way for her to stay away from your son. It's your son staying away from her that worries me." Frollo said. Facilier scoffs. "Well, I wouldn't worry about it. Shane doesn't know what you're capable of now. I mean, look. You managed to get me out of the Soul Realm, after all. If he ever does get in the way, you can take him," he says. Facilier takes out a deck of cards and shuffles them. "True, now Clara has to stop being disobedient and come back to Paris. To much longer and I'll bring her back myself," Frollo growled. "And how do you expect to get to New Orleans?" Facilier asks. "I never said it had to be me to go, there are guards who would go. But I have a feeling Clara will come back on her own soon enough." Frollo said. "Hmm. I suppose so," says Facilier. "But I think something's wrong. I saw someone leave the Soul Realm. A woman. Looked kinda like Clara. Who do you think that might be?" Frollo tensed, "When you say looked like Clara, how closely would you say? Roma and Clara are practically identical except Clara has my eyes and Roma has sightly wavy hair." "I only caught a glimpse of her, but if I didn't know any better, I'd think that it was Clara," says Facilier. "Well, then if you are right, it seems as if your son brought back my wife." Frollo said coldly. he knew this could cause complications. "I suppose you're worried that she might find Clara. Roma could find a way to convince her and reveal the truth," says Facilier. "I suppose you're worried that she might find Clara. Roma could find a way to convince her and reveal the truth," says Facilier. "I am not so much worried about her saying the truth. Clara doesn't know anything about her mother. I believe if Roma finds Clara, it's a very low chance Clara will believe her and if she does, like I said, it's easy to manipulate her." Frollo said. Facilier puts the cards into his coat pocket. "Ah, well. I guess I should ask what it is that bothers you about Roma. Might as well learn more about the whole family," he says. "If Roma gets to Clara and takes Clara to Roma's old home, there are two things that could happen, one bad, one good. I do not need Clara becoming like her mother." Frollo said something in his voice was saying he was disgusted and where Roma could take her. "So that's something to look forward to and something to look out for," says Facilier, stroking his beard. "How do we avoid the worst-case scenario?" "I get Clara and keep Roma away from her and continue my original way to find the Court of Miracles, without Clara finding out her mother was a gypsy, if Roma gets her there before we can stop her,  well, all we have to do then is catch Clara in a performance if she joins them. Then, I can make sure she never returns to the gypsies again. If she refuses to join, it is most likely she will come back home, angry yes, but, angry or not, I can handle her." Frollo explained. "The Court of Miracles? What's that?" asks Facilier. "Where the gypsies of Paris live. That's where Esmeralda was from and most likely where Quasimodo went to. I sent guards to where it used to be but it's empty. it is located somewhere else and I have been trying to find it ever since I came back for revenge," Frollo said. "And I assume that Roma, being a Gypsy, should know where it is?" "I would assume so, maybe if I an get Roma as well, I can get that information out of her. Clara didn't get her easily to manipulate traits from nowhere. Her mother was even easier than Quasimodo to control. Especially after she got pregnant with Clara. The idea that if she didn't choose me that the baby inside of her to die was the reason she agreed to marry me." "Ooh. That's messed up. Just like a villain should be!" Facilier summons his cane and puts on his mask. "If you'd like, I can trick them into coming back to Paris by disguising myself as Shane." "No, Clara wouldn't listen to him if he said that. She would get that something is up. When Clara tries to run, she really does try to run. Something else needs to bring her back..."Frollo started when a guard came in. "Sorry to interrupt Minister Frollo but we saw a boy, we think he is a from The Court Of Miracles. He was spotted at Miss Clara Frollo's mom's gravestone." the guard said. Frollo waved his hand, dismissing the guard. "Or possibly, someone," Frollo said, "If this boy knew Roma or his parents knew Roma, he can be the one to lead Roma and Clara back to Paris. But we need to know who he is..." Almost immediately, Facilier raises his hand. "I volunteer! I'm sure they know who Shane is, so I can easily fool him," he says. Frollo nodded, "Go ahead, if we can get this boy to get Clara and Roma, then we can work on keeping Clara and Shane apart, this time for good." Facilier tips his hat. "As you wish," he says, taking the form of Shane.