Chapter 5

Clara laughed as Claytin grabbed her waist and spun around with her. He placed his lips on hers and kissed her deeply. "Ok, ok, let me go, we leave soon," Clara laughed. It was the day after Shane and Charlene came and Claytin and her were about to leave for her performance for the kids. "Oh, come on, we've got time," Claytin said giving her another kiss. "Off Claytin, you're going to make me sin," Clara said pushing him off. Claytin sighed and followed after her as she put on her cloak and started to the stage to perform. "You know, dating me and being a gypsy is sinning, at least in your father's eyes," Claytin says. Clara turned to him, her face hidden by the shadows of the cloak's hood. "First of all, don't ruin what we have, second of all, I'm not a gypsy," Clara replied her voice tense and annoyed. Clayton rolled his eyes and did a few cartwheels to the now, insight stage. Clara looked in her cloak where she put her dagger in a pocket. Reluctantly, she took it and put it in her purse. She placed her purse on the side of the stage where it was hidden. Giving Claytin a nod, she went up on stage. "CHILDREN OF PARIS! COME HEAR A STORY! COME SEE THE MYSTERY AND BEAUTY!" Claytin yelled. Children and their parents, along with some other citizens, raced to the stage to watch. Clayton gave a small twirl as he turned and did cartwheels off the stage. Clara secretly rolled her eyes as she picked up her tambourine. She started playing as she sang folktales to the children of Paris. After a few folktales, the sun was past the middle of the sky, afternoon. Saying goodbye, Clara left the stage and grabbed her purse and put her dagger back in her cloak just as Claytin came and joined her. "Amazing performance as always," he said smiling. "Maybe someday you won't have to keep it secret from the Court Of Miracles," Clara muttered taking off the hood of her cloak. Clayton took her hand and they went back to the cabin. As soon as Clara sat down the bed, her phone rang, her father was calling. Clayton frowned and went to wait in the bathroom. Picking up the phone, Clara laid on her bed. "Clara speaking." "Clara, there has been a change of plans. I am coming home sooner," her father's voice said from the other end. "How soon?" Clara asked a lump forming in her stomach. "I will be home late tomorrow afternoon. I expect you to be studying," he explained. "Naturally father," Clara responded. He hung up and she put her phone down. She knocked on the bathroom door and Claytin came out. She explained what happened and packed her things to leave. "Clara... stay here... be good with me," Claytin begged. "I'm not good Claytin, I'm a villain. I can't be good. Besides if I don't go back, father will send a whole search party, neither of us wants to deal with it, Shane would have to come and do some voodoo stuff," Clara said. "I bet he would do that for you," Claytin says leaning against a wall. "Probably, but anyways if Shane and Charlene show up this week, please explain how I had to go back home. I love you," Clara said as she gave Claytin a kiss goodbye. "I love you too," Claytin whispered to her. Clara left and went to the bus stop.

Clara got back to her side of Paris. It was late at night, past midnight. Though she should have gone straight back to her mansion, she decided to go to the church that wasn't far from her home. She put up her cloak's hood and went inside. It was quiet and dark lit by only a few candles. She and her father had full access to the church no matter the time. Walking down an aisle surrounded by the traditional brown benches with red cushion seats tied to them. Clara went up the few stairs up to the small stage and looked up at the huge wooden cross on the wall. She heard the doors open behind her and she turned to see the archdeacon. She stared at him for a second when she turned back around. She reached for her neck and muttered a small curse as she realized she hadn't put her cross back on that laid in the pocket of her bag. The archdeacon came up to her and nodded in acknowledgment of her. "Late to be up Clara," he said breaking the silence. "Thought I would visit the church," Clara answered simply. "Before you go home?" The archdeacon asked gesturing to her bag. "I went out for a few nights." "Have you been studying for your birthday? Four months isn't a long time," the archdeacon asks turning to her. Clara turned as well and put her hood down. "Of course, I am excited to join," she said. The archdeacon grabbed her hands in his and smiled. "We are happy to have you join," he said. Saying a blessing both him and Clara did a catholic cross, blessing themselves then both saying "amen." The archdeacon went to finish up some of his responsibilities and Clara said goodbye to God and left to go home.

Clara's mind was numb with scripture. Since the moment she woke up, to the late afternoon, almost time for her father to be home, she has been studying her Bibles, only taking a break to pray, visit the church and eat. She looked over to her mirror. She wasn't wearing any makeup today, just a simple purple dress and a black leather jacket. After another hour of reading, she heard a knock. "It's open," she called out, expecting it to just be one of the maids or butlers. She heard the door open and an all to familiar voice echoed in her room. "Hello, Clara." Clara turned and her eyes met with her father's who stood at her doorway. His eyes were like daggers, digging into her. "So that's what Shane meant when he said to stop stabbing him with my eyes that one time..." Clara thought. Standing up, she bowed her head to him some as he entered her room, closing the door behind him. "Welcome home father," Clara said. She closed her Bible and approached her father.  He put his hand under her chin and titled her head to have her look him in the eye. They stared at each other for a good second before he moved his hand from her chin to his side. Clara took a step back to give more room. "How is your bruise healing?" Frollo asked. Clara flinched slightly remembering how she had a bruise that Shane had healed. "It is healing well..." Clara lied. She turned slightly to grab something when she felt her arm being grabbed. She gave a yelp of surprise as her jacket was ripped off, relieving both of her unharmed shoulders. "I'd say it healed quicker than it should have," Frollo said, his voice ice cold. Clara gulped down air, her mouth was dry. "I...I..." she stuttered trying to find words to say but nothing came. "You have been seeing the Facilier boy," Frollo said. Clara took a few steps back, trying to swallow her fear. "Is that where you went? To visit him?" Frollo asked. His voice was calm but he was obviously angry. "I don't know what you mean..." Clara muttered glancing down some. "I talked with the archdeacon, he told me how you went to the church late last night with a bag. Did you visit the boy?" Frollo explains taking steps towards her. "I... I saw him..." Clara admitted, taking steps back. "And you asked him to use his demonic powers to heal you?" "...yes sir..." Clara's back was now against her wall. Before she could react, her father's hand was around her neck. She couldn't scream, he was choking her. She couldn't breathe. "The Facilier boy is nothing but a sinner. He is just as bad if not worse than the gypsies." Frollo said still choking Clara. Clara started seeing spots and was about to pass out when he finally let go of her. She fell to the ground on her knees choking and gasping for air. Frollo grabbed her chin and squeezed her face as he pulled her closer to him. "You are to have no affiliation with him ever again or bruises aren't the only thing you will be gaining," Frollo threatened. He let go of her and walked out of her room. She heard a click indicating she was locked in her room. Tears filled her eyes from the pain as she laid on her floor, too afraid to move.

Clara looked away from her Bible and went over to her mirror, bruises were all over her neck from earlier that day. She flinched anytime she heard footsteps near her doorway. It was getting dark and she hadn't been let out. She was hungry but she knew better to think she'd be getting dinner tonight, or even breakfast or lunch the next day. The next time she'd be able to eat would be the next night at dinner and even that would most likely be limited. Punishments were never fun in her family, even if it was just her and her father. Deciding to officially take a break, she went to her balcony and watched the people hurry past the mansion. Fear prickling in everyone's step. Clara smiled at their fear, their fear gave her power and power made her a better villain. Her smile faded as her father's words echoed in her head. "You are to have no affiliation with him ever again or bruises aren't the only thing you will be gaining." "How can he simply expect me to stop seeing my best friend?" she muttered. Yes, Shane wasn't a villain and he definitely didn't believe the same things as she did. He did voodoo which was a sin. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to be friends but they were. Clara sighed, "I can't keep this secret forever. He needs to know sooner or later before he comes on my birthday and catches me before I have a chance to explain. He knows one secret, what can another hurt?" Clara thought aloud. Clara looked behind her and through the glass balcony doors to her Bible sitting on her desk. It was decided, next time Shane visited, she'd tell him her plans for her eighteenth birthday.