Chapter 6

After the eventful encounter at Dr. Facilier's Voodoo Emporium, Shane is drained and decides to go to Charlene's house. Charlene waits by her window for signs of Shane. "Oh, I hope you're okay. I'd be devastated if something bad happened to you," she says. Just then, a dark shadow appears in front of her window, as Shane emerges from it. "Shane!" Charlene opens the window to talk to him. "Are you alright?" Shane enters her room and lays down on the floor. "Yeah, but I need to get to Paris. I've got some... pressing matters to attend to," says Shane, breathing heavily. "Okay. Stay safe," says Charlene. She gives Shane a kiss on the cheek as a shadow appears underneath Shane. He smiles to reassure her that everything will be alright as he sinks into the shadows.

Clara leaned against the railing of the balcony. She had left the door open behind her, in case her father came back in. She hoped he didn't. He'd be angry she wasn't studying. She just wanted a break. Clara felt a slight feeling she was being watched but tried to ignore it. Suddenly, a gust of wind hit the back of her neck. She was certain, she was being watched now. Turning her eyes were slightly wide, her hair was in her face so she couldn't exactly see. "I'm studying! I promise! I just took a break! I'll go back now!" She said frantically, obviously thinking it was her father. Her hand was on her neck, almost protective. "Clara," said an ominous voice from behind her. "It's Shane. Take me to your mother's grave. Then get back to studying." Clara put her hand down from her neck, revealing the small bruises on it. She sighed and put some of her hair behind her ear. "Shane... hey. I can't leave to mom's grave. I can't leave the mansion period. If father found out... oh god if he finds out your here, it won't end well. Why do you want to go there anyway?!" "I figured out how to talk to the dead. I only wish to know my mother got along with you," says Shane, keeping his true intentions a secret. Clara sighed. "Promise me you'll come back after? We need to talk about something. I can't take you to the grave, you have to go on your own." Suddenly there was a knock on her bedroom door and Clara flinched. She turned to Shane and whispered, "When you come back, come back quietly and sneakily. I'll be here." Suddenly, the gust of wind was gone. Shane had to the graveyard.

The graveyard was empty. Clara's mother's grave, laid far from the others, a single word on the store, "Sacrificed" was almost covered in moss. "This is it," says Shane. He slowly approaches the gravestone and touches the ground in front of it. A surge of energy flows through him as he feels the souls of everyone buried nearby. "I wish to speak to Madam Frollo," he says. A soul of a woman, looking a lot like Clara except for the eyes appeared. She looked at Shane, "Is that what everyone thinks? That I took that man's awful name? He might have said I did but in my heart, Frollo is a name of dread, not a name I keep." "Well then. What should I call you?" Shane asks the soul. "Call me by my first name, Roma. That is my name." Clara's mother said. "You look familiar, did I know you?" "I think you should. Even though I've grown a lot since the last time you saw me. It's me. Shane Facilier," says Shane. "Shane?! It can't be! How are you, dear boy? And how is your mother? Has she taken care of Clara alright? Oh, how many years has it been?!" Roma said, a smile on her face coming closer to Shane. Shane laughs with joy. "It's been about eighteen years, Roma. I'm doing great! I've got a girlfriend, a good life in New Orleans, and I've been taking great care of Clara. Well, as much as she'll allow. She is kinda stubborn," says Shane. "Has Clopin found her? Has she joined them? He promised as soon as he could he would take her out of your hands. I was afraid that Clara would turn out like her father, that disgusting man. But I hoped that as long as he is dead she won't be influenced into the evil side. It took so much for me to convince Clopin and the rest of my fellow gypsies I was no traitor and Frollo kidnapped me and forced me into marriage!"Roma says. She wore a usual gypsy outfit at the moment. Shane sighs deeply. "I'm afraid that's the issue, Roma. Clara's birthday is coming up, and she's gonna join the church. Her boyfriend, Claytin, and I both tried to convince her to be good. and about Claude, he's back. He's alive, and he's manipulated Clara," he says. "What do you mean he's back?! How is that... oh no. It was me, wasn't it? Someone sacrificed me for him! I should have known! But who would do that?! He wasn't close to anyone! That man stole my life away from me, he had me killed and he stole the goodness in Clara! She can't join the church, Shane! He can't have that much hold over her!" Roma's eyes showed anger and fear. "I think Claude used you as a sacrifice," says Shane, pointing at the gravestone. Roma looked over. "I should have known. So Clara wants to be a villain? I can't say I'm surprised. As long as Claude Frollo is alive and has her in his grasp, she won't fight him. I would know. He uses pain and manipulation. And if he wants something from her, he'll get it. Shane, you might be her only hope. I can't do much but answer questions. Please ask anything and I can give you ask much as I can!" Shane's mind immediately fixates on one question: "How do I prove to Clara that Claude sacrificed you in order to return to the realm of the living?" "I don't think you can Shane. I might not know much about my daughter anymore. I saw her last when she was five. But it would either have to be Frollo himself or the one sacrificed me. It is the only way to show her enough proof." Roma says. "Hmm," says Shane. "There is no way Claude will directly confess to Clara." He looks Roma right in the eyes and says, "Well, anyway, it was great getting caught up with you, Roma. I swear, I will make Clara see the truth. Roma smiles, "Shane, Clara won't know that I was a gypsy. She doesn't know she has gypsy in her blood. It is best if you don't tell her. Wait until Clopin does before telling her you knew. Tell your mother I said hi," Roma went back to her grave a small wave saying goodbye. "I promise, Roma," says Shane as he sinks into the shadows beneath him.

Clara sat on her bed, a bible in her hand. Shane had to come back soon right? He needed to know about her plans. It was time to tell him. What was taking so long? And why did he have to go to her mom? Shane emerges from the shadow cast on the balcony. "So what do you want to talk about?" he asks. Clara flinches surprised and goes over to him. "Shane, maybe Claytin told you when he handed you the Bible. I hope he didn't but either way, you should hear it from me. On my eighteenth birthday... I'm going to pledge myself to the church, it's what my father wants." Clara explains. A chill goes down Shane's spine. He realizes that he failed before his mission even began. "I'm too late. She's already made her decision. But maybe there's still a chance to get her to realize," he thinks. "Seriously? After everything your father's done to you?" he asks. Clara gave an annoyed sigh, "What has he done Shane? What really has he done?!" "He abuses you, Clara! I could never side with my father if he did something like that to me!" says Shane. "He hardly abuses me! Yes, I get hit but that's what I get for misbehaving! It's just punishment!" Clara turned and went inside. "Why can't you just support me?!" "Because you're siding with a monster! I can obviously get past your reasons for being a villain, but the way Frollo treats you is not just a punishment! He's manipulating you, Clara." Shane follows Clara into her room. "You sound like Claytin! He isn't manipulating me, Shane! He just wants what is best for me! Just because you are a good villain kid doesn't mean I have to be! Just because you have some perfect life from being raised by your mom! You can meet your girlfriend's parents and friends! You don't have to sneak around! You don't have to stay locked up in a stupid mansion unless there is some all-important event or you have to go to church! You weren't raised a villain!" Clara's voice was tense as she tried not to scream and give away that Shane was here. "Clara, you didn't have a choice! Your mother was dead for the majority of your life! You couldn't have been raised any differently! I know that my dad is against me using voodoo for good, but I don't let that stop me!" says Shane, nearly on the verge of yelling. "Don't yell! I don't need to get more punished!" Clara put her hand to her bruised neck. "I am seventeen Shane, even if I wanted, I can't leave till I'm eighteen and even if I did leave, where would I go? I can't leave till I'm eighteen and even if I did leave, where would I go? My father practically runs Paris! I'd have to leave Paris, maybe even France! My mind is made! I will pledge myself to the church!" Clara says trying to calm down. "Seriously, Clara. You need to reconsider," says Shane. He decides to really hit her in the emotions. "I mean, what would your mother think?" Clara slapped him. "My mom sacrificed herself to bring my father back! She left me without a warning! There was no goodbye! No, I love you! No, I'm sorry! My mom did this herself! So, I bet you, she would be very proud of me!" Clara turned around and mutters, "Besides, mom is the past, a past not to be revisited..." That's what Frollo always told her when she tried to mention her mom. "Without history, humanity is doomed to repeat it," says Shane. "That's why I'm a good person. It's because of my family's voodoo history that most of New Orleans scolds me. I'm changing my family name for the better. Why can't you?" "Why would I want to? I love being bad! Being a villain! Why would I want to be good? Honestly, Shane, what is out there for me if I turned good?" Clara whispers. Shane finally snaps. "I wasn't allowed to grow up in my hometown because of my family name. And when I finally moved back, everyone was scared of me! Even Tiana judged me based on what my father has done to her. Every time I try to be good, someone thinks it's some kind of con." He grabs his cane and grasps it tightly, "I would do anything to live a normal life. But I can't! Why? Because of my dad! Because of all of the Facilier's in the past! If you knew the horrible things that your father has done before you were born, you'd never even think about joining the church. But I guess you're too dense to see it." Clara screamed, took out her dagger and put it to Shane's neck. "Don't you dare tell me I don't see it! I know what he did! I know he tried to kill Esmerelda! I am not blind! Don't accuse me of something that you don't know!" Clara tensed her hand on the dagger. She didn't know what she was going to do. She was angry. Part of her was screaming to back away but the other told her to hurt him. Shane nonchalantly holds up his left hand. "Are you sure you want to step to me? I've Got Friends on the Other Side. And who do you have? A jester. I've got an entire army of shadows and souls with me. That little dagger ain't gonna do you any good," he says slowly pushing Clara's arm down. He knocks the dagger out of her hand with his cane. Clara has tears in her eyes by now. She could hear footsteps coming from the stairs. Someone had heard her screams and went to report to Frollo, "Get out! Now! And don't come back!" she said through gritted teeth. She grabbed her dagger from the floor, "Or I'll take my chances with your so-called friends! Aren't they the same ones who killed your father?!" The footsteps were getting closer to her bedroom door. "I know more than you, you know. For instance, my father's not dead. And I know more about you, too. But you're not ready for that conversation yet," Shane leaps over to the railing, leaving nothing but a small, green flare where he stood.