Arrival, Part 3

Emma felt her phone vibrate and she checked the screen. She knew it was stupid to hope it would be anything meaningful but a small part of her hoped it would be an emoji strewn farewell or even cute goodbye message. But she guessed right. Josh had just sent her a picture of his new guitar, along with the caption:

She's so beautiful!

And then nothing else. He hadn't even mentioned the fact they wouldn't see each other for a week. Maybe she was just overthinking things. Maybe this was like business as usual, after all he was eventually going to see her again, and a week isn't that long. Maybe, she told herself. In any case there was no point responding, at least until they had left school, so she put her phone away and Josh to the back of her mind.

'I can't believe it,' said Sophie.

Her friend bought Emma out of her own thoughts and she shook her head to find her senses. 'Can't believe what?'

'They turned up,' the blonde girl exclaimed. 'Them.'

Emma turned her head around and stared at the group of boys clustered on the field, cheering and laughing. They were all Steve's friends, most of them she had never spoken to or knew beyond their name. Well, there was Malik and Nick of course. Was that guy called Tom?

'I'm actually pissed,' Sophie announced.

'Why?' Emma turned back. Michelle too looked a bit confused.

'Of all the guys on the trip, they're the coolest ones going with us?' she huffed a sigh of disbelief. 'What the hell.'

Emma wasn't sure if Sophie expected her to laugh or frown.

'I thought Sam and that were coming,' her friend continued. 'He said he would if I was. I can't believe he lied to me.'

'Maybe he thought you were lying?' Emma said with a shrug. 'Or something like that, I don't know. I mean, this isn't really your type of thing is it. Orienteering and kayaking?'

Sophie scoffed. 'Well yeah, but it was a week away from here. No parents. At the beach. And we could – oh shit!' She suddenly exclaimed, catching the other two off guard.

'What's wrong?' Michelle asked her. 'Have you forgot something?'

Sophie looked torn between agreeing and disagreeing. She tensed up angrily and bawled her fists. 'I said to Sam to bring alcohol. And he's not here. Wait, did you guys bring some?'

Emma shook her head. She guessed there would be some drinking on this residential but she hadn't thought to pack any bottles herself. It was a mission in itself getting hold of drinks, let alone stowing it in your bag without parents finding out. Maybe Michelle bought some with her?

But their tall friend shook her head awkwardly. 'Sorry,' Michelle admitted. 'I thought you guys were bringing some.'

'Do we have anything?' Emma asked.

'I have two bottles of vodka,' Sophie grumbled. 'No mixers though. And they're not going to let us raid the kitchens, are they?'

'I guess we could do shots...' Michelle mused.

Sophie frowned at her like she was mad. Even though she was the most experienced drinker among them, Sophie had no qualms about admitting her limits.

'First of all,' she said, 'I hate doing shots. Especially shots of vodka. It's like perfume mixed with fire. Secondly, I don't want it to be like just us girls in our room sipping neat spirits.'

Emma was confused. Where was Sophie going with this?

'It was supposed to be us, Sam, Rob, everyone hanging out and I don't know, doing whatever,' she told them. 'I wanted to have fun. That was the whole point of this.'