Landing, Part 3

Nick had been running for ten minutes. Or maybe more, he hadn't been counting. Time wasn't important now; it was his life he cared about. And even though he hadn't heard those clicks for a while, he wasn't going to stop until he got back to the beach.

The teenager burst from the bamboo, skidding across dirt and sand. He had made it back to the beach and from the sounds of things, there weren't any more of those monsters behind him. But something else was waiting for him. He caught glimpses of figures in the corner of his eyes – people. And not just anyone. It was Charlie and Emma. The two people he was most happy to see.

Nick might have run a mile already but he still found the stamina to dash over to his friends, who partly dashed to greet him. They all staggered toward each other, Charlie must have been hurt because he limped and Emma nearly hugged him with happiness.

'Nick!' Charlie was grinning. He put an arm around him and nearly fell but luckily his friend was there to catch him.

'You alright?' he asked, glancing up and down.

Charlie nodded firmly. 'I'll walk it off.'

Nick beamed and then stood back to look at both them. God. He was so happy to see them.

'I can't believe I found you...'

He had left the beach an hour ago to search for the others. His gut had told him there were others and he was right. He knew it. Though, not long ago he was starting to lose hope. So long with no one to help him, he was beginning to believe he was on his own.

'God, it's good to see you guys. I thought I was...' he heaved a sigh. 'Doesn't matter. We're here now.'

Here.

Nick swallowed and glanced back to the jungle. Wherever here was. Sure, as hell wasn't Reyvon Lodge. He scoured the trees but there were no answers amidst the bamboo. Everything was a total mystery.

'What is this place?'

He looked to both of them for an answer.

Emma shook her head. 'We don't know. We don't understand either.'

Nick shook his head sadly. He noticed Charlie was staring at the trees with a grim face.

'What were you running from?' his friend asked.

'You wouldn't believe me,' Nick nodded. 'There are these massive...'

'Crabs?' Emma answered for him.

He raised his brow.

'Yeah. You've seen them?' Nick shook his head again. 'God. I woke up and found three of the things getting ready to eat me or something. So, I ran. They chased me. Then more of them arrived. About ten of them with those massive claws. Somehow managed to lose them in the forest.'

Charlie was now glaring uneasily at the trees.

'I don't think they followed,' Nick told him and then he turned to Emma. 'They scared the hell out of me.'

There was no point lying. Not to her. And she smiled at him.

'They scared all of us.'

Nick smiled back at her. 'What with the crabs and... and not knowing where the hell I was pretty... meh, it doesn't matter. Hey, did I mention it was great to see you guys?'

He wasn't sure but Nick thought he caught Emma blushing. Charlie had now turned back to him.

'I'm glad you're okay,' his friend nodded.