Landing, Part 4

Steve recognised the voice at once.

It was Michelle.

He reacted faster than Sophie but he wouldn't have known that. He wasn't even really thinking. His body worked on its own. It somehow knew Michelle was in trouble and that set him off. Before Steve could take stock of himself, he was charging through the undergrowth, ploughing through ferns and vines.

For the past couple hours Steve had been wondering through the outskirts of the jungle, cautiously venturing back and forth to the beach, just in case someone arrived to save him.

Save him?

Did he need saving? He'd spent enough time panicking and overthinking his situation that Steve knew that whatever was happening to him wasn't good. And the fact he could now hear Michelle screaming was yet another clue.

Steve vaulted over a fallen palm tree. What made it fall, he wondered...?

No! Forget it. That doesn't matter. All that mattered was finding Michelle.

She was screaming a moment ago but now there was silence.

God.

What if something had happened to her?

The idea sent a spasm of fear through Steve's body. His adrenaline went into overdrive and he launched through the bushes at what felt like Mach 8. He had to find her and help her. There wasn't any time to think about what lay ahead or dangers or whatever came next.

Steve needed to be there.

Another scream cried out and it was closer now.

Good, thought Steve, I'm on the right track. Plus, it wasn't as terrified as before and he could almost make out words. Michelle was shouting at someone or something.

'... away... me!' was about all Steve could make out.

His route was blocked by bamboo so he leapt between the shoots, slamming between the shafts as he clattered to the ground.

'Get away!' she cried again.

Something was attacking her. For sure.

Steve climbed to his feet and noticed one of the bamboo shafts had been uprooted. It wasn't very long but it was sharp at one end and just the right girth for a teenager's hand. So, Steve grabbed the shaft and leapt towards Michelle's voice, searching himself for the courage to face what was ahead.

He could hear panting now. And between the trees, Steve saw a tall blur racing through the bushes. It was being chased by a pair of ruddy shapes. What the hell were they?

It didn't matter. Steve intercepted the blur, crashing through the bamboo and nearly knocking Michelle over. Behind her, he saw two massive crabs, scuttling furiously after their victim with their giant claws.

'Steve?!' Michelle screamed at him in surprise.

Steve actually knocked her away as he skidded to a halt to face her pursuers. Waving the bamboo shaft like a bat, he swung it into the crabs.

'Get back!' he shouted.

He hoped he'd be threatening enough to dissuade the monsters but if anything, they seemed more invigorated. They lashed out at Steve, flailing their claws at the boy.

'Steve!'

Michelle hadn't left the area. She had stayed behind. What was she doing? She had to get away!

With his mind distracted, Steve missed his swing and one of the crabs jumped at him. Thankfully the claws missed him but the force knocked him off his feet. He collapsed on the ground and the crustaceans surrounded him.