Landing, Part 2

It was the sound of water that bought Emma to the stream. She had been wondering in circles for an age it felt, confused, terrified and longing for home. It was only her thirst that made her delve deeper into the trees to sate that burning feeling in her throat. But the clicks had disturbed her. She was curious to learn what made them, even if venturing further into this paradise frightened her beyond imagining.

And there she had seen it. The giant crab, standing over Charlie with its menacing claws. She didn't have to see the teethy maw to know what it wanted so she did the only thing that came naturally to her.

Emma grabbed the sharpest stone she could find amidst the dirty trench and hurled it with all her might. She wasn't great at sports and she even missed tossing paper in to the bin, but she hit the crab first time, right in its eye stalk.

Charlie looked as stunned as the crab was.

'Emma...'

The crab was startled by his voice and bought its attention back to him, flexing its mighty claws. Charlie immediately withdrew and scrambled back up the bank. He wouldn't have enough time.

Emma reacted again. Scooping up a second rock, she hurled it as hard as she could. The projectile slammed in to the crustacean's head and it made that dreadful noise again. But this time it charged sideways, scurrying down the stream towards her.

'Oh...' Emma went stiff with fear.

She heard Charlie's voice crying out, 'Run!'

At once the raven-haired girl turned tail and bolted, just as the crab snatched at thin air. But it didn't stop moving. It chased her, dashing manically along the trench with its furious limbs. God, it was fast. It caught up with her in no time and if it wasn't for a protruding root, it would have snatched her easily.

Emma vaulted the root, hoping it would act as a barrier to the crab. Not a chance. Its giant claws snapped the wood like it was a twig, shattering the obstruction into jagged shards.

She knew she had to get out the trench so she scrambled up the bank, pulling herself up with bamboo as the claws snapped behind her.

Crack! Crack!

Emma leapt towards some bamboo, closely followed by the enraged creature. She managed to dive between two large shoots just as the crab crashed in to them. The bamboo acted like defensive bars, blocking the monster from its victim as she scrambled to her feet.

Crack! Crack!

The bamboo was cut down in an instant and the crustacean surged forwards to devour its prey.

Before it had the chance, a grey blur slammed in to the side of the crab. It was Charlie, launching a terrific dropkick that knocked the crab several feet away. Emma grinned with approval but Charlie reacted like his leg was broken.

'Argghh,' he groaned, stumbling to his feet.

A rustling of leaves told Emma the monster wasn't done. She jumped upwards and grabbed Charlie by the arm. They had to go now.

'Come on!' she cried.

Together the pair of them started running again, Charlie wincing from his swollen ankles. Emma dared to glance back and saw that the crab was far from done. It was speeding towards the pair in serious haste.

'Shit!' Charlie cried.

He didn't watch his steps. The guy tripped on a root and stumbled through some ferns. Emma actually skidded to a halt but he waved her forwards, scrambling through the dirt.