Impossible, Part 3

Chris's stomach rumbled.

He'd been craving food for a while now. Not just the horrible crab rations or fish bits they'd been surviving on for the past few days, but actual meals. Chicken. Burgers. Chips. Hell, he'd settle for mushroom soup right and he hated mushrooms with a passion. Anything would be better than that undercooked, overcooked campfire crap. Well, hopefully that was going to change soon!

When he first saw the forest trail, Chris was over the moon. A path like this could only mean one thing.

People.

People!

This place was inhabited. This stupidly hot and unforgiving island. There were people who lived here. It was simple logic that if people made trails here, then they lived here, and to live here, they must have food. Maybe not a McDonalds or Pizza Hut but at least enough of a variety to have a balanced diet.

Proper cooked food.

That was all the impetus Chris needed to keep walking. It didn't matter that the stream was gone or that they were running low on food themselves. People were somewhere at the end of this trail and they would have the basic comforts Chris was missing.

Beds? Showers? Oh. Toilets! His mind was running away with all kinds of possibilities that lay ahead. And to be honest, it would be great to get hold of a phone. His mum, his sister, shit even his dad he would call. He hadn't spoken to any of them in how many days? God, they probably would be angry he hadn't spoken to them in so long! And you know who else he would call?

A lawyer.

That's right. A damn solicitor.

After everything Chris and his friends had been though, someone had to pay for this crap. And it didn't matter if it was going to be the school, the government or some shady corporation, whoever dumped them in this shithole would spend the rest of their days paying compensation. Maybe Chris would get enough money to buy his own island?

The thought made him grin broadly.

'What is it?' Sophie found his cheerfulness amusing.

Chris turned his smile toward her. 'I'm just thinking about the future. Just think, this time tomorrow, we might be on a first-class plane back home?'

The idea made Sophie smile back at him. 'I think I would be fine with that.'

'Me too,' Chris nodded. 'Champagne, gourmet food. Hell, I'd take anything right now. You ever had those ugly fillet things on a flight?'

'Oh, you mean the microwave meals?'

'Yeah,' Chris shook his head with disgust. 'Well, I'd be happy eating a tonne of those!'

He laughed and Sophie laughed with him.

It was strange. A couple weeks ago, he had never spoken to Sophie before. Well, they moved in different social circles anyway, but now look at them. They were pretty tight. Chris got on better with her than anyone else in this group, even Malik. At least Sophie was on his side when everyone else was on his back. She was great if he was honest.

Really great.

Chris's smile disappeared and he cleared his throat.

'Must be missing Sam, huh?

Sophie's smile shifted also. She shrugged and nodded. 'Yeah. I do.'

'Expect you can't wait to give him a call?' he asked. 'First thing you'll do when we get out of here.'