Melwaith, Part 4

The palace was the second biggest building in Melwaith. It was a shaped like a star with five great keeps, all linked to a central tower known at the citadel where Lord Astiel lived. The building was stone grey like the very first constructions of the city so everyone knew this was probably the oldest building in the Freelands. The spire of the citadel was actually very useful. As the tallest structure standing, if you were ever lost in the many, many streets of Melwaith, you could find your bearings by simply looking to the sky. Except now, Steve and the others were heading right to the spire, marching with Veyron under an armed escort.

He thought for a stupid moment that the scholar had betrayed them and was taking them to a dungeon. But the green and gold soldiers had the shields aimed outwards – they were protecting the teenagers. It was a nice gesture and all, but it confused Steve. Why did they need the protection?

Veyron led them down a semi-secluded highway. It was flanked on each side by gorgeous trees, deliberately planted to create a stylish boulevard leading to the palace gates. The gates themselves were iron barred and as tall as the Meleseros beasts, not to mention, fiercely protected by a dozen Melwaith soldiers who were equipped exactly like the special bodyguards of Lord Astiel.

The gates were the only entrance to the palace grounds. The whole estate was shielded from the rest of Melwaith by a perimeter wall, similar to the one that surrounded the city. More bodyguards could be spotted, patrolling the ramparts, watching the citizens with vigilant eyes.

'I should warn you now,' said Veyron, 'you will be in the audience of very powerful men and women. Many of them will not care you are strangers or unused to their customs. Should you insult them, they will not be amused.'

'Why would we insult them?' asked Steve.

The scholar mumbled something under his breath. 'It may be prudent to remain silent until I say so otherwise. Thank you.'

The gates swung open for the escort.

Steve swallowed and followed Veyron and the others inside.

The palace grounds were as spectacular as you might have imagined. Beautiful gardens with exotic plants and scenic ponds with all manner of exquisite fish swimming within them. And more soldiers. There seemed to be more guards here than any other place in the city. So much security, thought Steve. Was this for them? That couldn't be right. Was it to protect Lord Astiel? But he went riding yesterday with just a handful of riders? So why were there so many soldiers?

Veyron must have noticed his interest because he nodded to him. 'Safety of the council is paramount. Hence the large number of troops.'

'What are they expecting?' he asked.

'Anything,' Veyron admitted.

A sinewy old figure stepped out on to the path to greet them. He reminded Steve of that sorcerer they spotted on the road, elderly with a long beard and even longer robe. He regarded the teenagers with a grave look.

'Veyron,' he wheezed, 'these are your guests?'

'They are,' said the scholar.

The old man sighed. 'You are serious then.'

'I am,' Veyron nodded.

The sinewy figure wheezed again. 'So be it,' he whispered.

And then he dismissed the armed escort with a wave of his frail hand. The soldiers departed without another word.

'This way,' he rasped.

Veyron nodded to the group and they followed the old man, marching toward the first keep of the palace.