Melwaith, Part 6

Emma opened her eyes.

She didn't feel brave.

Well, not as much as she hoped she would. Silly as it was, she'd hoped in the morning that the anxiety and uncertainty for their mission would ebb away, replaced by a plucky determination and positive attitude.

But no. She still felt like a crushing weight was pressing down on her heart. And that was the sheer terror of not knowing if she'd made the right decision or not. She had stuck up for Charlie, trusting her own instincts and those of the people she believed in. But was that right? Was turning her back on logic and reasoning the right answer in the situation? For all she knew, she had sacrificed everyone for the sake of satisfying an incomprehensible yearning at the back of her mind.

Was it the right choice?

Was helping Melwaith and Veyron what they were supposed to do?

Was it their purpose here?

Sunshine shone through the bedroom window and dazzled Emma so she had to turn over. She could have tried to get back to sleep but there was no point. The light kept her awake. And her thoughts wouldn't let her snooze.

With a begrudging sigh, Emma rose from the soft cotton blankets of her poster bed and stretched her limbs. Her bones made a pleasing sound as she felt strength returning to her. That was one thing that never stopped surprising Emma, just how easily she energised again.

A sudden thought occurred.

Was that just a good night's sleep? Or was it some innate power she had picked up along with the ability to summon monsters?

The realisation kept her sat on the edge of her bed for a few minutes, pondering what other talents were locked away inside her. She didn't even notice the neatly folded bundle on the armchair by the wall.

'Huh?' she murmured.

It was a cloak. Or a coat maybe. It was beautiful jade green and trimmed with saffron and silver. There was also some leather riding gear, a well-tailored jacket and a pair of boots that only the wealthiest merchant would have sold to customers. Sitting beside the bundle was a short sword, a weapon that reminded Emma of those Roman gladiuses with its leaf shaped blade and hiltless crossguard.

This wasn't here last night.

Emma rose from the bed, feeling her balance returning immediately as she crossed the room to the chair. She had a sneaking suspicion of who the clothes were for and she was right. She held up the long green coat and realised it was in her exact size.

This was for her. Along with the boots and the riding gear. And that sword. That was just the right length for someone her height, singlehanded so she could fight with her right hand and use her left to... summon monsters.

Clearly these things were not left by accident. Emma was supposed to put these on. And truth be told, she was a little curious to see what she'd look like, dressed like someone who belonged in this world. She'd had far too any funny looks from the citizens of Melwaith, interested in the meaning of the logos on her purple shirt.

What the hell? It couldn't hurt to try it out. Besides it would take her mind off the future.

In no time at all, Emma had shed her silken nightgown and had pulled on her leather riding gear. It felt tight and a little strange at first but it fitted fine and she found she could move pretty well. Not to mention, she felt protected. A leather jacket was stronger than a t-shirt after all. Last of all, she tried on that green coat and this odd sensation of comfort fell upon her, like she'd been waiting all day to try this on. Just for fun she pulled up the hood and let it sit across his raven hair.