Landing, Part 6

The night wasn't as cold Nick expected. He thought tropical climates had scorching days and freezing nights but it only mildly chilly. That was something good he guessed. But it wasn't enough. Not nearly.

The nine of them had chosen to make a camp where they found Luke. There were some fallen palms nearby and lots of rocks, so a few of them had hastily constructed a makeshift circle. In the centre, Steve and Malik had spent the last few hours trying to make a fire. They still hadn't succeeded yet.

Nick glanced up at Luke. His friend hadn't said much since he'd broken the news about Tom and Beth. He was now sat on the largest rock, clutching Steve's spear as he stared at the collection of tinder that had been gathered. His expression was cold, but not out of indifference. It was like he had been drained of emotion, having spent all of it now.

On the other side of the camp, Sophie, Michell and Emma were huddled together for warmth. And for comfort. Each were wearing tear stains identical to Luke, the three having spent the evening mourning their friend, Beth. They were so close.

Just like the guys and Tom...

Nick swallowed his emotion. Not nearly as well as Charlie, who just stood in silence, no doubt used to hiding his feelings in plain sight. He made it look so easy. Nick struggled to just keep his hand steady. He couldn't cry. Not in front of them all. He was trying to be strong. For everyone. For the girls. For Emma. He couldn't lose it now. Not over something they couldn't even prove.

'We don't know for sure,' he had said hours ago.

But Luke had said at once. 'I was holding Tom when the light came. When I woke up, I was out there in the sea. Holding his jacket. But he was gone.'

That wasn't enough to have sealed their fate but Luke wasn't finished. He kept going.

'I looked for him. I swam as deep as I could. Right to the bottom. And I that's where I found the shoe.'

That was when Nick thought Michelle would have burst in to tears. Were she not surrounded by her friends, and Steve, she probably would have.

And now they were all sat around their meek-looking camp. Shivering. Waiting for their fire to be made.

'We should have a funeral,' Luke suddenly spoke.

Everyone looked up. The girls were too stunned to reply.

'What?' said Chris.

'They're gone,' said Luke. 'But we're still here. It's the right thing to do.'

The group looked to one another for guidance. Nick didn't know what to say. It was the last thing on his mind.

'I agree,' said Sophie. The rest then gave nods of consent.

'Alright,' Nick sighed. 'We'll do it tomorrow.'

The were murmurs around the camp. The only one who didn't speak was Charlie. He was stood over the jacket and shoe, staring quietly at the items, like he was looking for answers. Nick wondered what he expected to find.

His eyes flicked back to Luke who stirred a little. The stocky teenager was prodding the sand with his spear. Despite what he had seen and told them, Luke been so calm about everything. Certainly, better than Nick if he had witnessed the same.

A question then occurred to him.

'Luke,' he said slowly, 'do you know what happened? How we got here?'

Steve and Sophie looked up at Nick but he chose to ignore them. He thought for a second that Luke hadn't heard but he eventually sighed.

'I was underwater when the light hit. Then I blacked out. I don't remember anything before waking up.'