Arrival, Part 5

Charlie wasn't sure what he had seen. It was only for a moment, a brief flicker and then it had gone. If he hadn't been staring at the exact spot of water then he might have missed it, or discounted it as a random sun reflection. But he saw something appear and disappear.

A light.

These thoughts banished from his mind as he watched Luke leapt off his bunk bed. The teen landed hard on the floor, and for a second, everyone thought he'd cracked the wood.

'Christ,' Steve whispered as he was emptying his sports bag. 'Farrell would destroy us.'

'Yeah, and I don't want to pay a charge,' Nick added.

Luke merely rolled his eyes.

The four of them were sharing one of the many dormitories of Reyvon Lodge. Two bunk beds in each room with some tiny foot lockers as the only storage. Luke and Steve shared bunks while Nick and Charlie shared the others. Charlie took the bottom bunk. He hated being on top, it felt terribly exposing up there. Luckily Nick had no qualms about it. Nick... his words from the coach were echoing around Charlie's head, repeating the same depressing truths over and over again.

Were they truths? Charlie couldn't exactly doubt any of it. Emma was popular. He wasn't. Maybe a normal guy would have understood that. But for some stupid reason, it only made his feelings more resolved. Like defying how he felt wouldn't make any difference.

Charlie heaved a sigh. What the hell was wrong with him?

'Shit,' Steve suddenly spoke.

The other three turned to their long-haired friend. He was holding his bag with trembling hands, staring back at them with a pale face.

'What?' Luke said, concerned.

'I...' Steve began, '... forgot my vodka...'

Charlie could have laughed. Such build up and then that's his answer. Not that what he was saying wasn't cause for alarm.

'You're joking?' Nick sighed. 'Tell me someone's got drink? One solid week of walking and sailing without any fun and I'll kill myself.'

It was a thought they all shared and Steve made a second rummage through his sports bag. Again, he came out empty handed and the whole room groaned.

'I can't find it,' he admitted.

Nick immediately turned to Charlie, who shook his head sadly. He hadn't bought any bottles with him. His house was pretty much teetotal and there was no way his parents would buy him bottles. While Luke's family were pretty sound, that hadn't encouraged the stocky teenager to bring some either.

'I thought Steve was bringing it?' he defended himself.

That was true, Charlie admitted and partly why he hadn't even bothered to try getting bottles. Steve had, as he always had, taken full ownership of the alcohol situation for the four of them. And now he had let them all down.

Before the judging and sentencing could begin, their dormitory door flung open and in walked Tom, looking proud.

'Lads,' he nodded affirmatively.

'Tom,' Nick pointed at Steve's failure, 'tell me you bring good news.'

Their baby-faced friend laughed and to the relief of the room, nodded happily. 'Don't worry,' Tom grinned. 'Chris bought four bottles. Malik bought two. And I got a couple as well!'

Steve immediately dropped his bag and started clapping with applause. Luke even gave a little whoop as he high fived Nick.

'Yes!'