Impossible, Part 10

Sophie took a deep breath as the Tengura warrior lifted his axe to strike her down. Her hands fell behind her, scrambling over the farming tools, searching for something to defend her.

Both hands grasped two wooden handles.

These would do.

The axe came down as Sophie swung the tools up to block it. They were scythes, the kind farmers used to cut grain with. She thought for a moment that they wouldn't stop the warrior's axe but they held it firmly above her head. Even the Tengura was surprised.

He roared in defiance, withdrew his weapon back and swung it sideways, attempting to slash her.

But Sophie was already gone.

Like a flash she dived forwards, skidding past the warrior as he missed his chance. And in that moment, Sophie whipped the scythes into the man's exposed leg, slicing the muscle as deep as the bone.

The warrior screamed in pain and dropped to his knees, gasping in pain. He dared himself to turn back to face Sophie and saw the girl was already bringing the weapons back around to finish him.

She cut him hard across the neck and blood sprayed the bushels. The man's body slumped heavily to the ground.

Whoa.

Sophie stared at the corpse in shock. She'd done that. She'd beaten that asshole and killed him. Her eyes fell to her scythes. They were stained red with blood but the sight didn't repulse her.

It gave her strength.

There were shouts to her rear so Sophie turned about.

Chris was still there, fighting off two warriors with his bamboo spear. One was armed with the greatsword and the other had a serrated blade. The odds were against him and they were forcing him away from Sophie. The one with the greatsword then hacked off the end of his bamboo.

'Chris!' she cried and leapt forwards.

The other warrior with the blade turned around to answer Sophie. Leaving his comrade with Chris, he raced to meet the girl, swinging his weapon wildly.

Once more Sophie dropped, skidding on her knees to dodge the serrated weapon. As he missed, she turned about, swinging the scythes back to attack. The Tengura blocked her strikes but she attacked again. And again. Launching quick, accurate swipes at the man's neck and arms.

Behind her, Sophie caught a glance of Chris battling the one with the greatsword. Despite the strength to wield the weapon, the Tengura wasn't quick. Chris avoided a blow and immediately countered, stabbing the warrior with his remaining bamboo. The spear didn't go deep but the warrior groaned and fell back, dropping his greatsword.

Chris was quick to react, scooping up the weapon like it was a feather. He bought it down quickly, slashing the man's face in a burst of blood.

Sophie meanwhile was dipping and ducking the warrior's attacks, moving so quickly the man couldn't hope to touch her.

'Stay still!' he roared.

The blonde darted behind him and swung both scythes into his exposed back. She slashed him open and the Tengura screamed, crumpling to his knees. The blade fell clumsily from his grasp.

Sophie glanced up and saw Chris marching towards the defeated enemy, gripping the greatsword with vengeance. The warrior muttered something to him, was it mercy? Chris didn't care.

He swung the weapon about and took off the man's head.

Wow. He was strong.

'There!' someone snarled.

That hadn't a moment to rest because two more Tengura had leapt into the paddock, charging towards with their blades.

Chris heaved a sigh and turned to her.

She gave him a brave smile.

Together they turned toward the Tengura and attacked. They weren't running away now. They were fighting back.