Melwaith, Part 3

Melwaith reminded Malik of the Italian Riviera. He went there with his family years ago and they stayed in a town on the cliffs. All the buildings were a hundred years old, made of limestone and rock, in a multitude of sizes, shapes and colours. Some with sloping roofs, some with flat roofs, some with bridges that crossed from one side of the street to the other. It was exactly the same in Melwaith, except here there were more gardens, more people and more chances of getting lost amidst the chaos of culture.

That was it, Malik thought to himself, this city was like a hundred nations had been thrown together in one location and then they were all trying to integrate and merge with varying levels of success. The architecture for starters was all over the place. There were some greying ancient buildings which were prob ably the original foundation, but then sometime later, great marble towers and mansions have been erected. That was followed by brownstone tenements and finally clay brick strongholds. Then the citizens of Melwaith had decided to plaster their buildings with all manners of dyes and paints, reflecting their cultures or creeds or whatever made them unique.

The only semblance of unity was the green and gold banners that everyone was proud to display from buildings and across the roads. It didn't matter that there were people of all ethnicities living in this city, haggling over bargains or worshipping different gods. In Melwaith, you were all Freelanders and you were honoured by it.

Of course, it wasn't a complete utopia here. Amidst the tightly packed markets and street corners, Malik could hear vendors screaming out for murder as street urchins came charging past with stolen vegetables. And down one alley, Malik was certain he could see two men mugging an old lady. That was rare though. On most occasions, the Melwaith Guard was always on hand to break up any conflicts or arrest disturbers of the peace. Most of them didn't even have swords, just small daggers and truncheons for breaking bones. Okay, that didn't exactly make Melwaith the home for human rights, but compared to the wild lawlessness beyond the walls, Malik could see why Veyron said it was the safest place in all Gaia.

The scholar had decided to lead the nine teenagers along the scenic route of the city. He took them on a ride along the city's central canal, pointing out key landmarks as they sat marvelling from their gondolas. There were strange, foreign looking basilicas with multicoloured curtains draped across spires, monstrous tower blocks with barbed doorframes and mesmeric hanging-gardens, home to countless animals that squawked and called across the city.

'Guys,' Steve breathed, 'this place...'

'... it's unbelievable,' finished Michelle.

They were right. No one disagreed. Not even Chris, and Malik knew he'd be the grumpiest among them, the guy was just speechless with shock when they stepped back on to dryland. A gigantic horned creature, half rhinoceros, half badger was toiling in a market square, groaning under the weight of so many packages strapped to its harness. The animal was bigger than the elephant, bigger than a blue whale, Malik reckoned.

'A Meleseros,' said Veyron. 'I'm guessing you've never seen one before?'

'No...' Chris swallowed.

This particular market square was a hub for clothing trade. Dozens of stalls were selling fabrics and textiles from wools to leathers, to satins to furs, each piece beautifully unique and totally alien to any of the nine teenagers.

'I'm feeling a little out of place,' Luke muttered.

Malik knew what he meant. The group were still wearing their hoodies and jeans, albeit accessorized with some boots and furs from Aston's village, but they stuck out like a sore thumb. Even the poorest citizens of Melwaith wore rich vibrant robes or cloaks. And despite neighbours having divergent styles from one another, they didn't stand out so obviously like the teenagers did.