Melwaith, Part 5

Soon after the council, the envoys and their supporters left the palace. The Kaidorn emissary was the only one who appeared optimistic about the future. The other delegations were less than impressed. Despite being united in their discontent both Osglar and Urland were shooting daggers at each other, as if somehow the fault was either of their own.

'They look happy,' Malik noted as the group watched them leave the chamber.

None of the delegates gave them a second look, instead ignoring everyone they passed, determined to make their dissatisfaction known to the whole palace.

Charlie sighed. He had barely followed the council meeting but he was sure he understood the general idea of the discussion. There was a war coming, a great and terrible conflict between alliances of various kingdoms. And in order to win, the Freelands and their allies needed to send a dagger across dangerous territory to a place where it could be used. Because this wasn't just any dagger, but a Dagger of Power. But what kind of power? The weapon looked just like an ordinary dagger, even if it did have a couple runes. Well, so did Aston's longsword but that didn't have any special properties as far as he was aware so why would should this knife have any? But then why were so many people concerned for its safety? Why would so many revere the thing? Could it really...? Considering Emma could summon beasts and Michelle was a sorceress, was something as incredible as a Dagger of Power really so impossible?

But that was nothing to do with him. Or his friends. No, this council didn't involve them but this information was pretty useful. At least now Charlie knew the people to avoid and the ones to trust, possibly. He was certain of one thing. This Black Knight of Durmount was not someone they would want to make friends with. Even if they hadn't met this person, knowing that he was enemy of Astiel and Veyron, two of the kindest and most respectable men Charlie had known, made it pretty clear what type of person he was.

Charlie and the others were waiting patiently by the foot of the staircase. They had expected Veyron to return or maybe Madrel. But neither came for them.

'Shall we go?' asked Chris.

Nick shrugged his shoulders.

A green and gold soldier then pushed open the oak doors. He waved his arm to the nine.

'Lord Astiel requests your audience.'

They had no reason to decline so the group nodded and marched into the chamber.

The room was empty now. All the delegates and supporters had left. Even the soldiers and nobility of the Freelands. The only other people in the chamber was Lord Astiel, sorcerer Madrel and scholar Veyron. All three men were involved in hushed whispers as the nine treaded towards them.

Charlie was too far off to hear much of the conversation but he picked up a few words spoken.

'...I won't lie to you, Veyron. I am not sure of this.' That was Madrel wheezing.

'Do you trust anyone we know?' replied the scholar.

'But they are so young.'

'The enemy will not expect this. They will find it hard to track them across Gaia.'

'What about their safety?' said the sorcerer.

'Agreed,' said Lord Astiel. 'They do not look like sorcerers or warriors. What if something happens on the road? What if our enemies find them?'

'How can we trust them at all?' wheezed the sorcerer.

'I trust them,' said Veyron. 'I do not believe in coincidence. I believe in Destiny. I know you do too...'