Journey South, Part 1

The centipede was huge.

One foot, maybe even two feet if the arthropod was stretched out to its full length. Its tiny legs were like human fingers, wrapping themselves around the trunk as it climbed to the lowest boughs, and they made a soft chattering sound like nails on ice. From fifty feet away, it looked like a rusty segmented snake, but Steve could see exactly what it was.

He pulled out an arrow.

The monster even made a gnashing sound, teeth probably, grinding against themselves as its maw scraped across the mossy wood.

Steve nocked the dart to his bow.

The centipede's feelers were searching the tree bark for something. Food? What did a bug that size eat?

He drew the string back, letting the arrowhead rest on the edge of the bow. Steve could feel the tension fighting against him but his hand was steady and his grasp was strong.

The arthropod must have sensed something close by. Its head changed direction and its whole body scuttled up to a different branch. Soon it would leave his sight.

He waited.

The centipede hastened.

Steve fired.

The bow's power surprised him.

The monster was dead before the teenager heard the sound of the arrow hitting its target. The dart planted straight through the head of the arthropod, pinning its corpse to the tree.

Fifty feet away.

One shot.

Steve grinned with surprise.

'Not bad,' he quipped and walked forwards to collect the arrow. Even he knew that it was a pretty decent kill.

The monster stank of rotten flesh, permeating the walls of Steve's nostrils. He nearly gagged as he ripped the dart clean, letting the arthropod crumple to the dirt. It looked even uglier up close with that vicious maw and disgusting underbelly. No chance they would be eating that later. At least it made good practice, he sighed.

The others had made camp not too far away. When Steve returned he saw there were only six of his friends waiting. Chris was seeing to the cooking on the campfire, stirring the pot with a burnt-looking stick. Sophie was on her feet and playing with her new swords, dancing on the grass with deadly speed. She made it looks so easy the way she would slice and thrust and then pirouette on the spot like a lethal ballerina. Watching her was Michelle and Luke, dozing quietly against a mossy log. Beside them was Malik and Charlie, both of them eying the cooking pot hungrily. Emma and Nick were nowhere to be seen.

'How's lunch coming?' Steve asked as he walked over to Michelle.

'Cooking,' Chris grunted.

'What's on the menu?'

The answer came from Luke who mumbled tiredly, 'Blue chickens.'

Steve raised an eyebrow.

'Kobo,' said Malik. 'Remember?'

Luke muttered an acknowledgement. Everyone sounded tired. They had been walking nonstop for days now but it wasn't like before when they were heading to Melwaith. Now they were marching with a purpose. And they felt like they were being driven hard.

Charlie smiled. 'I was half expecting Steve to bring back a rabbit.'

'Yeah well, I don't think they have normal animals here,' Steve shrugged. 'Just lots of weird things. And monsters,' he added quietly.