Impossible, Part 2

They walked until the light grew dim between the canopies and they hadn't spotted any streams or pools since the morning.

Nick was beginning to worry.

He was sweating with anxiety, even though he knew it was stupid and his body was wasting valuable hydration. He took to airing out his T-shirt, flapping the front to allow cool air to brush up his chest. The others were taking similar measures to fight off the heat. Emma had fashioned herself an assortment of leaves and was fanning herself as she trod beside him. Chris and Sophie had made similar devices and walked in tandem, fanning one another with sour expressions. Somehow Charlie still managed to wear his hoody, pretty impressive, as Nick would have discarded that thing days ago.

God, he thought, how far to the stream?

They said it went in land. But what if it didn't. What if it stopped farther back and they were just marching southwards for no reason. They couldn't survive on tree moisture and good intentions. Would they have enough time to turn back?

'Listen!' Emma hissed.

The group stopped and let the sounds of the jungle fill their ears.

Birds. Insects.

More birds.

Water!

It was so quiet, Nick was amazed she managed to hear it. A gentle rushing sound of splashing on dirt. There sounded like quite a lot.

'Come on!' Malik called and took off at once.

Nick wished they didn't run. They didn't know what was ahead or if it was what they expected but the others were so thirsty, he could hardly stop them. Together the nine teenagers dashed through the bushes, heading towards the source of the raucous water.

Thankfully their sprint had not been in vain.

The stream was wide, maybe twenty feet or so from one bank to the other. It was quite deep too, maybe two or three depending on where you'd stand, but the current was slow and pleasant. Even Nick couldn't disagree that was it was extremely inviting.

He joined the other eight as they leant and took hungry cupfuls of water one after the other. It was warm but not unbearably so and he gulped back five or six before he was distracted by the splash.

Steve had dived in to the water. He must have stripped down and was now wearing his boxers, paddling through the water. Michelle was laughing and Malik actually cheered.

'What are you doing?' Nick chuckled.

Chris hauled off his clothes too. 'A wash in something other than saltwater? Yes please.'

He joined his friend and soon the rest of them were leaping into the stream, splashing and laughing happily. The fact they were all in their underwear didn't seem to faze any of them.

Ah well, he thought. May as well join them.

Nick pulled off his clothes and dived into the middle of the stream.

God, it felt good. The cool fresh water rinsed the old saltiness off his skin and hair, and he felt clean again. Nick emerged from surface and laughed, stroking back his soaking gold hair.

Emma was standing before him, grinning broadly. Nick had never imagined he'd see her without clothes but then he guessed neither did she and they both chuckled awkwardly.

Maybe we all needed this, he guessed. Just one small bit of fun to take the edge of how messed up their situation was. It was the first time he'd see many of them smiling. Especially Sophie and Luke. The stocky teenager had climbed out of the stream and was now sitting on the bank, stretching his muscles. He was beaming so happily, it just made Nick smile.