Melwaith, Part 1

Emma held out her hand and concentrated.

For minutes now, she had been staring across the grove, focusing on the tree opposite her. She wanted it to happen. She wanted it to work. So why couldn't she make it appear?

The white woman. The griffin. Emma had made them spring out of thin air by accident or at least without trying to. But now when she was wilfully expecting them to come out at her command, nothing was happening.

Was there something she was missing?

Was a gesture of her hand required? A particular stance she needed?

An incantation?

Emma swallowed. She wasn't a superstitious teenager at all. She knew lots of friends at school who swore on their lives they had seen ghosts or believed in various different things from God to tarot cards. Emma wasn't exactly an atheist, she was more a cynical agnostic, deciding until someone proved it to her, she wouldn't even think about it.

Yet now in this place she had seen all kinds of things. Things that a few weeks ago she would have laughed at or simply ignored. She couldn't ignore them, no matter how crazy it was to imagine.

The way that griffin just appeared at her command... and then it disappeared in a shower of golden light.

Is it possible there was some science to all this?

Or was it literally magic?

Emma heaved a sigh. Charlie told her not be afraid of any of this. What she could do (when the time suited her) was not harmful. These things she bought to life, only came when she was in trouble, and she did take some comfort in that. To a point. This idea or notion or being able to make angels and demons appear, it was like having superhuman strength. You were walking around constantly on edge, afraid you might hurt or damage something important.

What if Emma made that griffin appear again?

What if started attacking her friends?

What if she couldn't control it?

This was why Emma was out here, trying to bring these things before her. She had to try and get a handle on this. Maybe if she knew how to get these things out she could make sure it wouldn't happen by accident. If she could control this power of hers, then it would give her peace of mind.

She would never forgive herself if those things hurt the others.

Never.

Emma took a deep breath and focused. She held out her hand towards the tree, imagining the Tengura warrior who fled on foot. She pictured the griffin appearing and chasing down the man.

Appear.

Come on. Appear.

Show yourself!

'Emma?'

The voice startled the raven-haired girl and she jumped on the spot.

Behind her, the familiar blue eyes and golden hair of Nick appeared within the bushes. He stepped into the grove, clutching the hilt of his Tengura sword while that fur cloak draped across his shoulders.

'Hey,' she said awkwardly.

'What are you doing?' Nick asked, glancing around the trees.

She thought for a moment before speaking. There was no point pretending. Not to Nick. Emma heaved a sigh and shrugged.

'I'm trying to get that woman and griffin to appear.'

He looked surprised. 'Are you sure that's a good idea?'