Chapter 17-For Him

(I could only get Tris' dress up, so below is Ava's)

Today was the day. Tommy and Anna Maria's wedding. I was in my studio finishing up last-minute details on my dress while it was one me. Ava was banging on the door that we'd be late if I didn't hurry.

"I'm his Best Girl!" I yelled at her, "I've gotta look perfect!"

"You sound like Pop!" Ava yelled back. I had to laugh at that one. "Just hurry up!"

"Do you know who you're going with?" I asked through the door as I finished sliding on the gloves.

"Do you?" She asked smugly.

"Rhys," I answered simply, "Is he dressed?"

"Both him and Pierce," Ava answered.

"Oh," I swooned as I opened the door, "Nice choice."

"Same to you," She said, "Dad and Pop won't question Rhys as much."

"They might, but at least these two are calm and quiet," I said as we turned into the kitchen. Rhys and Pierce were standing there in nice black suits I had made with ties that match our dresses. But they had them on wrong. So Rhys was wearing the purple one and Pierce was wearing the red one. "Do we have time to change them?"

"No," Ava answered, "We have to meet Mrs. Oats to fix our hairs up."

"I don't," I said, "Tommy wants to do it so we can get some one on one time before the wedding." I look towards Rhys and Pierce. "Pierce I guess you're my date. Rhys, you're with Ava."

"Okay then," Rhys said with a nod. Pierce, just nodded.

"So Pierce," I said, "We need to leave now." I didn't waste a single second, I reached out and grabbed his hand, dragging him along and practically tripping in these heels! "If we aren't there. I killed myself on these death traps people call shoes." Ava laughed. The others looked alarmed. Which made me laugh. "C'mon Pierce." I was still holding his hand as we ran outside the building and down the sidewalk.

"It's about a mile, and we aren't gonna risk taking the bus," I said and hurried into a slight jog, "So keep up and stay quiet when we get there. Like at his house, the girls will probably be all over you. Maybe all the girls here." He nodded in response. "Maybe say something. Even just a yes or a no."

"Okay," He said.

"That works too," I said as we began to run towards the docks, "C'mon we're gonna be late."

We had gotten to the docks and Tommy had asked Pierce to help set a few extra things up, while he pulled me up to the front and started on my hair. A V-Braid with a Princess styled ponytail. As for Tommy, he looked good. Cleanly shaven, in a suit and tie, even with a clean-no chipped teeth-smile of his.

"Remember when we met here?" He asked. I wanted to look around, but I couldn't.

"You mean when you claimed I 'fell from the sky'?" I asked sarcastically.

"No," He responded, "You just poofed into existence." Poofed. Like what Lief does... I laughed after my thought, he did too. I missed hearing his laugh. "So, still Pierce?"

"Nah," I said, "He and Rhys just... behave better than the others."

"Rhys?" He questioned as he gave a tug to my hair.

"Yeah, he's coming with Ava. He's one of our friends. Pierce, Rhys, Lief, Noi, and Asch," I told him, "They're pretty cool."

"Okay, now for my second question," He said and I could hear him thinking a bit, "Do you actually think a human male behaves?" He laughed out as he completed my hair and stood up. Grabbing my hands and turning me towards him as he took in my entire appearance. "You look..." His eyes were scanning me as he really was looking for the right words. "Perfect." Was his final word.

"Just like our old song?" I asked and all he could do with the silent Pierce nod. He smiled sheepishly, and blush crept along my cheeks. Not again. He's practically married! You aren't a child anymore Tris!

"I requested that to play for the normal 'Mother Son Dance' since ya know," He said solemnly, "I don't have a Mom."

"I don't either remember?" I said and stepped to his side, looking along at the chairs around us. I heard him clears his throat as he pulled his arm around me and pulled me into his side. "Street Days are behind us. You know that, right?" I peered up to him and saw his eyes glossed over like he was about to cry.

"I-I know," He choked out, and I couldn't help but hug him. Is he remembering it to? Our strange promises? What really happened in this spot? "I know you don't like Anna Maria. And I know she doesn't like you. Tell me that this is a bad idea, and I'll call it. 99.9% of this is because of you, and most of what's happened... has been because of you as well and I just-" I silenced him with a tight hug, trying not to cry myself.

"But the other .1% is all you," I told him, "And it's all emotion, all love. For her." I practically choked out the words. Then I remembered why he said no in the first place. What he told me. "You're my brother, and I want what's best for you. We might not like each other, but we'll get used to it. That's what family's do! So, as long as you're happy, I'm happy." He hugged me back and gave me a squeeze.

"Thanks, Viper..." He whispered in my ear as I smiled at the nickname that started this. This, extraordinary life, this battle free zone, where a heart can rest in any-I let out a breath. I pulled out of the hug and looked over to Pierce, setting up a heavy totem near the front. Where a heart can rest in anyone's hands. Even if that heart... is just the truth. "You know, he reminds me of that friend you used to talk about. The one you called Buttercup. Markings and all." Tommy then walked off the post, and down line to his group of other friends. Pierce came in my direction.

"Prince-I mean, Tris," Pierce corrected him, "Are you alright?" I nodded, watching Tommy's figure move away from me as I stood alone at the altar. "Tris?" Pierce was now standing in front of me, scanning me with worried eyes as his hands pressed to my shoulders. "Please, you can trust me."

"I do," I said before he finished his thought, "More than you and the others will understand-I just... this blockade... it's hard for me to get by..."

"Tell me," Pierce asked more than demanded. I let out a breath and looked him dead in the eyes.

"Tonight," I said, "I promise. As long as you don't tell anyone else. This means Ava and the others, and especially my Dad's."

"I promise," He said silently as he leaned down, slowly, to reach my height.

Oh.

MY.

WORD!