Chapter 27-Emotional (Final Part 1)

I was sitting in Ava's room with her, just waiting. She had gone out to talk to the guys because secretly she really liked having them around. I did too, to be honest. She was talking to them because she was more than worried. Rhys used his magic, and though it looked super cool and flashy, that was a dangerous move. By the time she was done, she came back in and flopped onto the bed. She was gonna cry. I stayed at the edge of her bed, sadness in my own eyes as she sobbed into her pillow.

"Ava," I said softly and calmly, "They just, don't understand what that kind of stuff means. They still believe all humans have magic."

"Still!" She sobbed. I sat there, tears forming in my eyes. The thought of them leaving, or being taken away, truly was heartbreaking. Neither of us is ready for it. Rhys opened and shut the door, stepping over carefully. I glanced at him from where Ava laid and watched with caution. They haven't seemed threatening, but it's possible that could change after what happened.

"Princess Ava," Rhys began, "Princess Tris... I wanted to express how sorry I am for what I did. I didn't mean to." I kept silent. This wasn't my battle anymore. Ava had friends, it's time she tells them the truth.

"You guys are real," Ava said, "Aren't you?" I was not expecting that... but she has a reason for everything, even if it doesn't seem like it.

"Huh?" Rhys asked confused, "I beg your pardon?"

"When you guys first showed up," Ava began, "I swore, I was dreaming. I think Tris did to... I was certain that when I woke up, you guys would be gone. But you guys, were still here... Every time I woke up, you guys were around. Even when Tris wasn't... Believe it or not, you all gave me the confidence to go outside. It's not just you Rhys. The others are guilty too of doing stupid things that would get you guys taken away. It's just... I... don't wanna lose you all."

"What?" Rhys asked. My heart was actually breaking. My plan was still in motion, but this... this here is... it hurts... to see her like this. More than it ever has before.

"Nothing," Ava replied, "Nothing. I'm just, upset that's all. Again, it's not just you, Rhys. I appreciate you more than anyone. I'm just emotional, I guess." Now I was crying. Quietly. Tears trailed my cheeks, but I was afraid to move. Afraid to speak, to ruin this moment here. This was a large leap for Ava.

"Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?" Rhys asked.

"No thank you," Ava forced out.

"I can perhaps cook you something?" Rhys asked again. Pity wasn't on his face. True sadness was. He truly felt bad, but he didn't know why. "At least something I know how to make."

"Not hungry," Ava forced out again, "Thank you." Though her stomach growled... I could tell she was in no mood for food or games, or anything at the moment.

"Humans eat more than we do..." Rhys responded, "I'll... make you something anyway."

"I'll help... so he can... try something new..." I said and gently stood from the bed. Giving her a small kiss on the forehead before joining Rhys outside her room.

"Thank you, Princess Tris," Rhys said, sadness still laced his voice as he reached into one of the cupboards. I don't know what I was thinking, all I know is... I felt bad. I walked right up and gave me a hug from behind. The next thing I knew I was on the floor, his staff in his hands, pointing right at me, and it was glowing.

"RHYS STOP!" I screamed and held up my hands, covering my face. I was shaking, violently shaking. His staff went away as he reached down to help me stand. My cheeks were lined with tears, and he looked at me like he didn't know what I did.

"I-I'm sorry," He apologized, "I just believed... you were attacking me..."

"Do you guys not get hugs on Damos?" I asked. He shook his head, and a faint smile slipped onto my lips. "Come here. Why don't we do this correctly?" I wrapped my arms around his waist and felt his arms slip around my shoulders. Slowly and shaking, but, soon, I could tell it felt natural to him. "There ya go..."

"This is... nice," He said and let out a breath, "Please Princess Tris. You rest with the others. I will do this. I have to make it up to Princess Ava." I took a step back from him and stared him in the eyes. He meant this, so I would let him.

"Just," I said softly, my hand still pressed against his arm, "Just don't burn down the building..." I had ignored the rest of the hour that way, sitting against the wall, staring blankly into space. Thoughts running rampages in my mind.

Should I go to Damos now with them? What will Ava, Dad, and Pop do? Where did Dominick go? Did he follow us yesterday? Will Lorelei be alright? What about Ava...?

My thoughts subsided once I saw Ava going for the garbage. I quickly stood and raced over. She needed some rest, and I needed some fresh air.

"I'll get it," I said with a nod, and took it, heading outside. I went outside, slowing, taking my time as I dropped the garbage into the bin. I took a breath of fresh air, closing my eyes before turning and running into this tall man. Black hair matted and covered the tops of his eyes, but I could still see the one bright green eye and the other that was cut like an X. He was in human clothes, but nothing about him read, human.

"Who are you?" I asked and stood up. My height nearly reaching his own.

"I'm lost," He replied.

"Huh?" I asked with caution. I had no doubt in my mind that he was ready for any attack, nor did I have any doubt that he wasn't human. But I had to play this carefully. He might be trying to hurt the guys.

"I do not know this place," He replied, "Can you help me?"

"Uhhh-" I closed my eyes and thought for a moment. Think carefully. I opened my eyes, and when I looked closely, just behind him I saw-Oh no...