Chapter 22-Buttercup (Reconnection Part 1)

Ava and I fully got dressed up again, but this time, she decided to bring Noi with her. I picked Pierce just because I like his company. I thought he was nice to be around, and I didn't get fired up with him as I did with the others. They stood ready in the living room, this time, in the right ties as I came out with a smile on my face.

"Asch," I began, "You're coming to." Everyone looked shocked as I shook my head. "I lost a bet with Lance and have to bring a date for Maria."

"Ah," Ava nodded, "Payback?"

"For the snakes!" I said cheerfully while I dug out another tux. "The rest of you are staying here and Mrs. Oat's will be checking up on you every so often, so please, watch TV, keep your horns away, human clothes on, and behave," Leif whined and Rhys obviously was willing to compile. Asch. I really didn't want to go. "Let's go Fire Boy!" I said cheerfully banging on the door. I've been, in a better mood, a lot better one actually. Telling the other Damos about my past really helped. I feel almost free.

~*~*~TIME SKIP~*~*~

When we arrived at the Montgomery Mansion, everything was being set. Ava and Noi ran off quickly to help Lance and Jeffery finish up a few things, leaving me with Pierce and Asch. We scoured around for about twenty minutes before I pulled Maria into my line of sight and flagged him down.

"Be nice!" I said and smacked his chest, "She's a sweet girl." He rolled his eyes as Maria ran over. Her dress was to die for, black with a red rose band and silver star headband. I wonder who made it... Oh right! Me!

"Hey, Tris!" She said with a bright smile, "You left in the middle of dinner, haven't seen you since the proposal!" I smiled back and pulled her into a hug.

"Yeah, sorry," I apologized, "I had somethings to take care of. And, much as you know, I lost that bet with your brother. So I present to you-Asch!" I smiled brighter and did jazz hands in front of him. She eyed him up and down skeptically.

"And, him?" She asked in motion to Pierce, "Your date?" I nodded and she scanned him up and down as well. "Do you remember him?"

"Huh?" I cocked my head with a raise of my eyebrow. She rolled her eyes and gave Asch a small tap on the chest. "C'mon Asch. I'll need your help with something. See ya at the reception Tris!" She left, arm and arm with Asch, waving me goodbye. I waved back and turned to Pierce with a smile

"This reminds me of something..." I smiled bright.

"No more stepping on my toes," He said with a slight smile and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I like your sense of humor, you should keep it around more often," I told him and headed to my seat for the ceremony.  Pierce sat beside me, Ava and Noi sat a few rows behind us with Asch, since Maria was at the side of Lance.

"And now, these two, have prepared their own vows," The man initiating the ceremony said. Lance went first.

Since the day I met you. 15-years ago, all I can say is. I love you. Your smile, your hope, your optimism. Everything that doesn't make sense about me, makes sense when I'm with you. He began crying, Pierce, reaching for my hand as he continued. All I have ever wanted was to feel wanted. And you have done that, every single day. You've done that more than anyone. Somehow I got lucky to have the sweet, devilishly handsome, Jeffery Crossroads standing before me. About to say I do. I love you, to the Big Bang, and back. I shouldn't have, but I did.

I got up and left. Most people wouldn't believe that I was at my parents' wedding, they wouldn't believe me if I said I helped Lance write his vows because he sucks at writing things. I walked away from the ceremony and around to the back of the mansion. Waiting there, I undid the crumbled page in my jacket pocket and scanned it over with my eyes. It was from Dominick. I know, it shouldn't be here, but it is. Sometimes I look back at this and think about how someone like this; who loved my Mother, who was once kind, who feared nothing, could become a monster. I look back on this page of his old vows for answers but never find any.

By the time the reception started, my mood had changed, I apologized for leaving in the middle of their vows and relaxed for the rest of the night. The part kept going after their cruise limo came and got them. Maria and Asch danced and had fun, the same with Noi and Ava. As for me and Pierce... We stayed in our spots. Tonight we didn't feel like dancing, like having fun, or laughing. We were just, not in the right mindset anymore.

"What did she mean?" Pierce asked. I knew what he was talking about. Maria, when she asked if I remembered him. I couldn't lie, that was one of the several thoughts still left in my mind.

"I don't know," I answered, "Maybe it was one of her Maria Jokes." I let out a breath as Asch and Maria sat at our table.

"I found something you should see," Maria said and slid me a little envelope. I looked at it, then back up to her.

"I'll take care of it from here," Asch said and Maria got up to leave.

"I always knew," She said, "I'll cover for you. No matter what you decide." I was shocked, taken back, something I didn't understand. I opened the envelope and was surprised by what I found. A set of letters and an old picture that was ripped apart. I looked at the letters and smiled silently.

"What are they?" Pierce asked while trying to read over my shoulder.

"Letters, between Buttercup and I," I told him, "We only ever wrote these to each other before he came over and said hi to me."

"Look at the picture," Asch sighed. I glanced up at him before pulling out the picture. It was... Of me... A long time ago. I had less curly hair then I do now. And in this picture, it wasn't auburn. It was blue, my eyes were yellow and pink. And I was smiling, laughing almost. Tears threatened to sting my eyes as I stared at the picture. "Is this you?" I nodded silently, before looking up. Pierce staring in shock as he looked back and forth from the picture to me.

"I took this picture with friends of mine when I was younger," I said, "I was about four, almost five in this picture. It was before... The incident..." Pierce nodded, "Buttercup and my Brother were two of the people in it."

"When we get back," He began, "I have to show you something."

"Oh, what?" I rolled my eyes at him, "Are you Buttercup or something?"

"Yes." Of course, was my only answer. Of course.

WAIT WHAT!?!?!?!?!